Question USB-C Video-Out issues ?

Mar 27, 2024
My HP Elitebook 840 G6 laptop experienced some kind of issue when upgrading to Windows 11 and crashed completely. I used a recovery USB to restore it back to a blank Windows 10, however, now several features including and most especially the Video Out for the USB-C\Thunderbolt port no longer work. Not sure if this is meant to be over Thundebolt or USB-C DP Alt mode

Device manager is showing issues with an I2C HID Device:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
A request for the HID descriptor failed.

If it helps, when I apply my USB-C display to another HP (a Probook I borrowed from work), when the display is attached a "Generic PnP Monitor" appears in 'Bluetooth & other devices' - this does no occur on the machine I'm having issue with.

Can someone please help me restore this functionality. I've tried all number of different recovery drives and installing many many drivers, but it doesn't seem to work.

Please help!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024
Well my recovery drive rolled it back to Windows 10, but yea , I've used that page for many drivers, none seem to work. Do you have any idea on which ones specifically may apply to either the I2C HID Device, or to supporting alt mode on the usb-c port, because none of the ones I've tried have worked.