GrimReaper

I want to connect up a webcam to about 30 feet of USB cable. Would there be
any losses and will it work

Regards
GrimReaper

The maximum length of USB cable is 5 meters(about 16 feet) since the
USB is designed for desktop. For 30 feet, you need to use USB cable
extension.

Regards,
Kalin

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 21:32:33 +0000 (UTC), "GrimReaper"
<grim@london1804.com> wrote:

>I want to connect up a webcam to about 30 feet of USB cable. Would there be
>any losses and will it work

The USB spec is for 15' max distance, so your cam may not work at
30'.

If you want it to work rock solid over 5 metres. You will need a
booster cable. It may work at 10,15,20 metres but you will loose
siningal and get errors.

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:33:35 +1000, kim <relique_50@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>GrimReaper wrote:
>> I want to connect up a webcam to about 30 feet of USB cable. Would there be
>> any losses and will it work
>>

>> Regards
>> GrimReaper
>>
>I have a 10 metre (33ft) usb(1) extension cable plugged into an Intel
>'Ezy' cam without any problems. See the attached image snapped tonight
>(4 June).
>I remember years ago when printers were parallel devices that the
>'experts' said that the max length of a parallel cable was 2 metres
>(6ft), but I know of many people and businesses (my self included) that
>had 3 or 4 2 metre cables joined together because the printer was to far
>away, without any problems.
>Think of it this way also...if it didn't work then why can you buy long
>usb cables?

kim

On Holidays wrote:

> If you want it to work rock solid over 5 metres. You will need a
> booster cable. It may work at 10,15,20 metres but you will loose
> siningal and get errors.
>

> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:33:35 +1000, kim <relique_50@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>

>>GrimReaper wrote:
>>
>>>I want to connect up a webcam to about 30 feet of USB cable. Would there be
>>>any losses and will it work
>>>

>>>Regards
>>>GrimReaper
>>>

>>I have a 10 metre (33ft) usb(1) extension cable plugged into an Intel
>>'Ezy' cam without any problems. See the attached image snapped tonight
>>(4 June).
>>I remember years ago when printers were parallel devices that the
>>'experts' said that the max length of a parallel cable was 2 metres
>>(6ft), but I know of many people and businesses (my self included) that
>>had 3 or 4 2 metre cables joined together because the printer was to far
>>away, without any problems.
>>Think of it this way also...if it didn't work then why can you buy long
>>usb cables?

Considering that most USB cameras use a cmos device as the image sensor
and these are usually only equivelant to approx 300k pixels, a slight
loss of signal (and it would only be slight) is not a problem..or even
noticable. As for 'errors'..well after 4 months of using this setup,
sending images for 2-4 hours a day, the only 'errors' I have had is
software, when the app has missed sending an occasional image, but as it
is sending images every 2 seconds it hardly matters if it misses 10-15
images per day over that time frame.
Virtually all of those missed images have been traced back to the quite
old (and slow) computer (PII 300Mhz, 64M RAM, Win2K!) doing something
else (e.g. Windows doing it's 'housework' or Norton AV checking for
updates). This computer does nothing else but monitor the camera. It
can't! :)
Anyway...specifications aren't cast in stone and experimentation is half
the fun.

Not sure if its nessary either realy. But from what i have read it is.
Ive got a webcam and it does 640by480 at 30fps and the cable is
somthing like 10 metres when they are all connected together and the
picture seems fine. But it does seem better with just the Webcam
cable.

Oh well.

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:16:54 +1000, kim <relique_50@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>On Holidays wrote:
>>

>> If you want it to work rock solid over 5 metres. You will need a
>> booster cable. It may work at 10,15,20 metres but you will loose
>> siningal and get errors.
>>

>> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:33:35 +1000, kim <relique_50@yahoo.com.au>
>> wrote:

>>>I have a 10 metre (33ft) usb(1) extension cable plugged into an Intel
>>>'Ezy' cam without any problems. See the attached image snapped tonight
>>>(4 June).
>>>I remember years ago when printers were parallel devices that the
>>>'experts' said that the max length of a parallel cable was 2 metres
>>>(6ft), but I know of many people and businesses (my self included) that
>>>had 3 or 4 2 metre cables joined together because the printer was to far
>>>away, without any problems.
>>>Think of it this way also...if it didn't work then why can you buy long
>>>usb cables?
>>

>Considering that most USB cameras use a cmos device as the image sensor
>and these are usually only equivelant to approx 300k pixels, a slight
>loss of signal (and it would only be slight) is not a problem..or even
>noticable. As for 'errors'..well after 4 months of using this setup,
>sending images for 2-4 hours a day, the only 'errors' I have had is
>software, when the app has missed sending an occasional image, but as it
>is sending images every 2 seconds it hardly matters if it misses 10-15
>images per day over that time frame.
>Virtually all of those missed images have been traced back to the quite
>old (and slow) computer (PII 300Mhz, 64M RAM, Win2K!) doing something
>else (e.g. Windows doing it's 'housework' or Norton AV checking for
>updates). This computer does nothing else but monitor the camera. It
>can't! :)
>Anyway...specifications aren't cast in stone and experimentation is half
>the fun.

GrimReaper

"On Holidays" <abbyrow.com.uk> wrote in message

> Not sure if its nessary either realy. But from what i have read it is.
> Ive got a webcam and it does 640by480 at 30fps and the cable is
> somthing like 10 metres when they are all connected together and the
> picture seems fine. But it does seem better with just the Webcam
> cable.
>
> Oh well.
>

> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:16:54 +1000, kim <relique_50@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >On Holidays wrote:
> >>

> >> If you want it to work rock solid over 5 metres. You will need a
> >> booster cable. It may work at 10,15,20 metres but you will loose
> >> siningal and get errors.

> >Considering that most USB cameras use a cmos device as the image sensor
> >and these are usually only equivelant to approx 300k pixels, a slight
> >loss of signal (and it would only be slight) is not a problem..or even
> >noticable. As for 'errors'..well after 4 months of using this setup,
> >sending images for 2-4 hours a day, the only 'errors' I have had is
> >software, when the app has missed sending an occasional image, but as it
> >is sending images every 2 seconds it hardly matters if it misses 10-15
> >images per day over that time frame.
> >Virtually all of those missed images have been traced back to the quite
> >old (and slow) computer (PII 300Mhz, 64M RAM, Win2K!) doing something
> >else (e.g. Windows doing it's 'housework' or Norton AV checking for
> >updates). This computer does nothing else but monitor the camera. It
> >can't! :)
> >Anyway...specifications aren't cast in stone and experimentation is half
> >the fun.

Thank you both for your comments. Sorry about the late reply. I keep a rare
and endangered species of tropical fish and want to learn about its habits
so that I can breed them. If the picture quality was not too bad that would
be OK. I did not want to buy kit to find it did not work at all.
Kim
Your picture quality would be OK for me
Thank you both once again

Regards
Grimreaper

If you have trouble with the picture quality, we provide powered USB
extension kits that convert the signal so that there is no degradation.
Distance is up to 150 feet (but it is not cheap):

http://www.trackercam.com/TCamWeb/usbkits.htm

Good luck with your project studying the endangered fish!

www.trackercam.com