Question USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

steviewonder87

Commendable
Feb 19, 2017
So I don't have a case right now and I've been using a small screwdriver to turn on my PC (case will be arriving shortly), however this morning I accidentally dropped it on the motherboard and there was a small spark (it landed right on the corner didn't appear to touch anything significant - there's just some solder points there), and after that I had some issues with my PC not booting up.

I tried clearing the CMOS and taking out the battery and was constantly turning the PC on and off for hours trying to get it to work, during this time the USB device in question - a wireless mouse - was working fine. At some point during this it stopped worked in the BIOS (couldn't get into Windows at this point) so I switched over to my wired mouse. Eventually I changed SATA ports for my boot drive and managed to get into Windows, and everything else seems to be functioning normally now, even that other port that refused to boot now reads my other drive fine.

The problem is that wireless mouse refuses to work now at all, whenever I plug it in (to any port) it takes a while to be recognised and when it is I get this error in device manager Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) and Windows pops up with a this USB device is malfunctioning error. All other USB devices and ports are working fine, and they were all plugged in the whole time, it's just this one not working. Any ideas?

steviewonder87

Commendable
Feb 19, 2017
I saw that video and that isn't the solution (nor was it the solution for many people judging by the appalling likes/dislikes ratio), this isn't a driver issue. I think somehow the motherboard has corrupted the USB receiver physically during the constant turning on and off the PSU and clearing the CMOS taking out the mobo battery process that I kept repeating earlier. I can't confirm that it doesn't work on another PC but I suspect it doesn't.

Is there any way to buy this receiver separately? I don't want to buy the entire mouse again seeing as the one I have is still presumably fine. It's an ASUS WD425.