USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixx_Foxx

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
???? Motherboard??? How to fix or over ride a USB port? I just do not know and feel hopelessly lost....

Last night my daughter was playing a video game & all of a sudden the PC stated " USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds". We rushed out to a retail store & bought a can of air. I blew out all of the dust & some how it came back to life. I turned off & on several times before starting this USB problem again. Working on it a bit nothing came up but a black screen then it shut down. Now, we are back to the same problem (" USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds")

I have an ASUS motherboared. (IDK what kind the ex-husband took off w/ everything I had) there was a warning stating to go to www.jmicron.com I am like & how do I even get there when it won't stay started?

I do not know what to do and when your as poor as we are now that damn pc is the only entertainment I can provide for my kids since we live in a questionable area where not only are there no PC's in ppls homes but no repair shops.

I'd be very thankful for any help you guys/gals could offer.

ty- Sixxy

Solution
It almost sounds like your front USB ports are now mangled and possibly the contacts are touching each other causing overcurrent.

If you could take a picture of the front of your case as well as the inside - i'm sure we could help you disconnect the front USB ports so you can at least use your computer.

magicsandman

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

This worked for me and you can do it with a mechanical pencil (carefully with lead removed) from outside the case (so you don't have to break the seal and your warranty). Very simple. I learned how to do it here http://

Arthur_4

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
If you could help me too. It says the same thing but i have a really good computer so i cant really get to somr things. I would provide a picture but I don't know how. I have a razor gaming mouse and I dont know what kind of headphones. The keyboard is a gaming one and requires 2 usb plugs, im not sure what more information i can put

Oct 12, 2015
So here I am, with the same problem.. what do you know, one of the little metal "prongs" (I'm not I.T gifted lol) was bent & touching the other as the plastic part had broken off! THANK YOU!!!

skous1

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Hello, im having the same issue however i have opened my pc and removed the USB cables from the MOBO and i still get the exact same error. Does anyone know what it could be or how i can fix this?

Thanks, Sam.

Sadali91

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
skous1 December 8, 2015 6:15:18 PM
Hello, I'm having the same issue however i have opened my pc and removed the USB cables from the MOBO and i still get the exact same error. Does anyone know what it could be or how i can fix this?

Thanks, Sam.
My Son is having the same problem and has attempted this fix and even went as far as disconnecting each of the USB ports but without any success in fixing the problem. any help would be appreciated.
Sadali91

lolololololol

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
This is what I did and it worked, the first thing that I did was took some compressed air and blew out all of the dust that was at my fans. I then turned completely off my desktop and unplugged every thing except my mouse, hdmi to one of my monitors, my headphones, and my ether net. I turned it on and plugged it in and it worked!

Hope this helps....

Experienced_noob

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

bbuzzacchi

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

Hi, I have a desktop with Asus motherboard that presented the same problem. I read some forum comments over here in Brazil and people asked each other to enter to CMOS configuration (when you boot the computer and hold DEL or F1 key) and disable all USB ports. But my computer presented this error message before showing the option to enter to CMOS configuration. So I gave up and let the computer turned off.
After few days, I don't know why, I turned it on again and could enter to the CMOS configuration, so I put all USB ports on DISABLE status. The computer reboots with Windows normally, but no keyboard and no mouse, since all ports are disable... (Oh!). So I shut it down with power button and removed the CMOS battery (the small 2032 battery, like 25¢ coin) and put it back, that forced the CMOS to reset and enable the USB ports again. So I turned the computer on again, and... tchan!!! It worked.
I hope to have helped!
Best regards,
Bruno - Cabo Frio (RJ) - Brazil

bjsoap

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

Gianluca_2

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
I have the same issue with a ASUS Z170I mini atx motherboard, corsair 380T Mini ATX, that are new just got them today, and I've tried to disconnect all the case USB from the motherboard, I tried powering the pc from outside the casde, tried to take out the battery and to jump the DRAM pins to reset the settings, and still the same. I also tried to see what USB ports from my motherboard are recognized and I saw that at startup the USB 3.1 is not, is this normal on the DOS screen at the beginning? Also, even when the keyboard is recognized on the other USB ports, I can restart the PC with ctrl+alt+del but I can't access the BIOS, is there a way to do it? I'm pressing del or F2, but nothing happens
COuld it be a faulty motherboard? How can I be sure?

Thank you for your help, will be really appreciated.

G..

pancholokoskate

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
I was the same problem with asus H81M-K disconect everything and the same problem. The solution is a missing jumper, look in your Motherboard very close to usb internal ports 3 pins "USB PW" with missing jummper just put a jumper to short 1 and 2 problem solved, I don't know maybe i lost it carryng the mobo.., well thanks to all.

1st_Priority

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

I resolved this issue by disconnecting all USB devices. Plug them in one-by-one, and restart the computer after each one is plugged in. For me, the issue was a faulty speaker system. Whenever that USB cable was plugged in, the computer displayed this message. Those speakers had been sounding distorted lately, so I was not surprised.

Kate_33

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

Kate_33

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017
Over current have seen detected on your use device.. System will shutdown after 15 second to protect your main board.
Please help this is the problem of my pc which im using for internet gaming . i need your help guys 2 of computers r already down what should i do?

zabed.mohammed

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Four piece of metal leads exists inside a usb port and if any if them are in contact to each other or metal then this error occurs. All you need to do is separated these small pieces inside port from any contact in respect to other metal materials around it. Hope this helpz

vsrinu557

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
Just remove Front side USB cable fro Motherboard...May be front usb may be short circuit..After i remove usb cable from mother board Now its working...Try it

davoud115

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017

oli-pop

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
I hd the same problem with my Asus motherboard despite all my USB ports were functioning properly. The problem was related to my cmos battery but I don't know how or why, when I removed the battery the computer would boot up without displaying the error message, however each time you turn on your computer your bios settings will return to default but at least now I am able to use my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.