[SOLVED] usb device over ethernet extension

normiecs23

Reputable
Aug 19, 2018
Hi all, I'm looking to connect a usb device over ethernet using this product USB UTP Extender, its a steering wheel for my racing simulator as my pc is in one room, with my steering wheel in the other - does this also allow usb connections through the ethernet in my walls? to the pc?

Solution
This is where people get confused.

There are 2 different things. You have the wires that ethernat runs on. This are a cable with 4 pair of wires that meet some standard like cat5e or cat6 etc. Then you have a method of encoding data into packets. This is ethernet. Many years ago they used to run a protocol call token ring over the same physical cables.

The USB extender things run some other data protocol over the same wires they are not actually running ethernet. Powerline networks take ethernet packets on the same 4 pair wire convert the data to some special data protocol that runs over electical wires and then convert it back to ethernet on the far side. The powerline units do not have the ability to convert the...

normiecs23

Reputable
Aug 19, 2018
As long connection thru the wall is straight UTP cable end to end - I see no difference if a length of Ethernet cable is used instead.
I just dont want to use an ethernet cable and just have ethernet cable sitting there on the floor
Thats why i want to send the 1st half into the wall, and then coming out of wall into the pc into the other room - but i want to know if it will even function

It depends on how the wires inside the wall run.

Pretend that you could run a ethernet cable though the walls instead of laying it on the floor. You need your current wall jacks to have a ethernet cable run between them that is hidden by the walls.

Most houses that have pre wired ethernet cable have many jacks. Each of these jacks run to some central location. You would need to find this central location and connect the 2 wires that run to the 2 rooms you want to run this device on.

In the end you need a long ethernet cable running between the rooms. Just because it is hidden in the wall it still function exactly the same.

normiecs23

Reputable
Aug 19, 2018
It depends on how the wires inside the wall run.

Pretend that you could run a ethernet cable though the walls instead of laying it on the floor. You need your current wall jacks to have a ethernet cable run between them that is hidden by the walls.

Most houses that have pre wired ethernet cable have many jacks. Each of these jacks run to some central location. You would need to find this central location and connect the 2 wires that run to the 2 rooms you want to run this device on.

In the end you need a long ethernet cable running between the rooms. Just because it is hidden in the wall it still function exactly the same.
I do have powerline adapters just lying around, could I use them to direct the ethernet signal to each other? or would it not work?

This is where people get confused.

There are 2 different things. You have the wires that ethernat runs on. This are a cable with 4 pair of wires that meet some standard like cat5e or cat6 etc. Then you have a method of encoding data into packets. This is ethernet. Many years ago they used to run a protocol call token ring over the same physical cables.

The USB extender things run some other data protocol over the same wires they are not actually running ethernet. Powerline networks take ethernet packets on the same 4 pair wire convert the data to some special data protocol that runs over electical wires and then convert it back to ethernet on the far side. The powerline units do not have the ability to convert the data protocol used by USB to the one that runs over electrical power they only support ethernet.

People are just so used to calling 4 pair cable ethernet but it technically can run many other things.

They do make a much more expensive version of USB extenders that can run over actual ethernet cables. You want to look for USB over IP. These can actually run over the internet. The problem is they introduce much more latency than the simple ones.

Reactions: Alabalcho
Solution