Question USB devices randomly disconnecting on B550 board - USB 3.1 eXtensible-Hostcontroller crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2019
Hey folks,

after building a new setup for my RTX 3080 I am having massive issues with the new mainboard for a couple weeks now. When the system is under specific load, almost every device connected to the mainboard via USB except for mouse and keyboard randomly disconnect and reconnect several times.
I managed to narrow down the possible issue, it seems that the "AMD USB 3.1 eXtensible-Hostcontroller" is crashing and causing those disconnects:

8UpkVpQ.png

I have tried so far:
  • flashing the most recent mobo BIOS
  • installing the most recent chipset drivers provided by both AMD and MSI
  • swapping the devices hooked to the USB ports in every possible way
  • checking for any loose cable connections on the mobo
  • checking for updates for the USB controller in Windows device manager

My setup:
  • MSI MPG Carbon B550 now with newest 7C90v142 BIOS
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • NZXT Kraken X73 AiO
  • Nvidia RTX 3080 FE
  • Corsair LTX 32 GB RAM @ 3200 MHz
  • 1x WD 1TB NVMe SSD
  • 2x WD 500 GB SSD
  • beQuiet! Straight Power 11 850W
  • Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition

z9jsXgv.jpg

Hooked up via USB on the IO shield are:
  • Logitech X56 Joystick
  • Logitech X56 Throttle
  • Creative SoundBlasterX G5
  • Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter
  • Razer BlackWidow Elite Keyboard (barely disconnects)
  • Razer Basilisk Essential Mouse (barely disconnects)

Non of my components are overclocked. CPU, RAM, SSDs and every USB device has been working flawless on my old system with a B450 board and RTX 2080S card.
Sometimes instead of the USB devices disconnecting the whole system lags extremely even though the CPU load is beneith 30%. The disconnecting becomes severe when sharing my screen via Teamviewer or Discord but also happens randomly during games.

Any ideas how to fix this issue? Can it be ruled out to be a faulty motherboard or should I RMA it to MSI?

Thank you in advance for all of your help and suggestions and stay safe!

Dec 19, 2019
I managed to re-create the problem by screen sharing via Discord or Teamviewer but have not found a solution yet.

In device manager, my USB-Root-Hub shows that the device wasn't able to migrate:
USB\ROOT_HUB30\5&201a262c&1&0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020
Any solution? Im having a similar problem using the aorus b550 pro board+ryzen 3950xt+ Rtx 3070. Can also recreate the disconnect by streaming either through discord or OBS.

Dec 19, 2019
Any solution? Im having a similar problem using the aorus b550 pro board+ryzen 3950xt+ Rtx 3070. Can also recreate the disconnect by streaming either through discord or OBS.
I managed to find the reason for the random disconnects, I am using the Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition case which has integrated RGB stripes in and around the case which are connected directly to the motherboard via USB 2.0. After removing the connection on the mainboard I never had any USB disconnects ever since.
You don't happen to have the same case or any RGB controller hooked up directly to your motherboard?
I did not find any solution yet.

Nov 14, 2020
Yes! I have the Lian Li O11 Dynamic, but not the razer edition. I'll try unplugging some case things maybe. I found a temporary fix which is to not use any of the USB 2.0 ports as well, havent disconnected since. I decided to Refund the board after some thought. It's just not worth the trouble for this board. Im also having issues getting the correct RAM speed (3600 but its stuck at ~2100MHz). Also have been having issues with audio cracking under medium load (drivers fully up to date w/ a clean windows install). Probably the last time I ever get a gigabyte board. Also wanted to say that the gigabyte software i downloaded conflicts with my other RGB software and, well, its been a major disappointment to say the least.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020
I'm having the exact same issue here but I'm NOT using a Dynamic O11. What happens is my active speakers (plugged in to the USB 2.0 port) will immediately randomly start popping as soon as I do a screenshare on Discord or if there's enough GPU load.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite. This only started happening when I upgraded to a 3080. It appears that having a PCIE 4 GPU is somehow causing instability on the Gigabyte USB controllers. That's the running theory from this thread on reddit: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ju0p0g/stay_away_from_gigabyte_b550_x570_motherboard_if/

Also linked there are a bunch of very similar issues, so there's definitely something going on. I think the link with you guys is definitely the 3080 and peripherals plugged in to the USB 2.0 ports (your case lighting in this case)

Feb 1, 2021
Hey folks,

after building a new setup for my RTX 3080 I am having massive issues with the new mainboard for a couple weeks now. When the system is under specific load, almost every device connected to the mainboard via USB except for mouse and keyboard randomly disconnect and reconnect several times.
I managed to narrow down the possible issue, it seems that the "AMD USB 3.1 eXtensible-Hostcontroller" is crashing and causing those disconnects:

8UpkVpQ.png

I have tried so far:
  • flashing the most recent mobo BIOS
  • installing the most recent chipset drivers provided by both AMD and MSI
  • swapping the devices hooked to the USB ports in every possible way
  • checking for any loose cable connections on the mobo
  • checking for updates for the USB controller in Windows device manager
My setup:
  • MSI MPG Carbon B550 now with newest 7C90v142 BIOS
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • NZXT Kraken X73 AiO
  • Nvidia RTX 3080 FE
  • Corsair LTX 32 GB RAM @ 3200 MHz
  • 1x WD 1TB NVMe SSD
  • 2x WD 500 GB SSD
  • beQuiet! Straight Power 11 850W
  • Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition
z9jsXgv.jpg

Hooked up via USB on the IO shield are:
  • Logitech X56 Joystick
  • Logitech X56 Throttle
  • Creative SoundBlasterX G5
  • Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter
  • Razer BlackWidow Elite Keyboard (barely disconnects)
  • Razer Basilisk Essential Mouse (barely disconnects)
Non of my components are overclocked. CPU, RAM, SSDs and every USB device has been working flawless on my old system with a B450 board and RTX 2080S card.
Sometimes instead of the USB devices disconnecting the whole system lags extremely even though the CPU load is beneith 30%. The disconnecting becomes severe when sharing my screen via Teamviewer or Discord but also happens randomly during games.

Any ideas how to fix this issue? Can it be ruled out to be a faulty motherboard or should I RMA it to MSI?

Thank you in advance for all of your help and suggestions and stay safe!

I have the exact same issue, Im running the B550 Tomahawk latest Bios, AMD R5 5600x, Nvidia RTX3070. Its Driving up the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.