[SOLVED] USB drive water and humidity resistance?

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Dear all

I use DT50 16gb to backup important documents.

When I store the USB drives, I roll paper towel around the USB drives and put them in a sealed plastic bag.

My questions are:
Can humidity penetrate the plastic casing and damage the intertal parts of the USB drive?
Can water penetrate the plastic casing and damage the intertal parts of the USB drive?
Could a drop of water on the paper towel be harmful to the USB drive (create humidity etc.)?

Thank you in advance for replying

Best regards

Solution
Does all USB drives have conformal coating over circuit boards?
Can you tell, if Kingston DT50 16gb has?

Dunno. There are legion of these drives with gazillion modifications, made by professional cost cutters on lowest bidder. Except them, no one knows :)

If you wish to have proven waterproof USB flash drive, go and get some. They will cost extra, but probably are worth it.
The fact that ive washed my samsung fit plus 128GB usb stick twice and it still works shows how resilient some drives can be.

Some of these drives have pretty good conformal coating over circuit board. Thus are able to withstand some water punishment if they wasn't soaked during use. Still it is safer to disassemble drowned USB stick and dry internals before using it again.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Some of these drives have pretty good conformal coating over circuit board. Thus are able to withstand some water punishment if they wasn't soaked during use. Still it is safer to disassemble drowned USB stick and dry internals before using it again.

Dunno. There are legion of these drives with gazillion modifications, made by professional cost cutters on lowest bidder. Except them, no one knows :)

If you wish to have proven waterproof USB flash drive, go and get some. They will cost extra, but probably are worth it.

Solution