USB flash drive does not work on Windows 10 but it works on any other OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a bunch of no name 64GB USB flash drives from Amazon.
I got two units that refuse to work on any device with Windows 10.
They work on Windows 7, MacOS, Linux, etc.
They came formatted as exFAT, so I tried FAT32, NTFS and Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
Any ideas why they might not work on Windows 10?
In all Windows 10 PCs, I get this message
USB%20flash%20drive_zpsh5kbjsvd.png

Are you saying some of those 64gb drives work on the same windows 10 machines and some dont? If that is the case then there is something different/defective in the usb stick.

If those Win 10 computers don't recognize any USB 3.0 stick then my thoughts would be that you need to install/reinstall the usb 3.0 controller dirvers, or an incorrect usb setting in bios.

Yes, I swapped a drive on a Dell Inspiron 13 (7373) and it worked on Windows 7, but when I swapped the drive with Windows 10 then the USB drive does not work.
That's why is bugging me. The USB flash drive appears defective but only on Windows 10 OS.
I already tried on Lenovo, Toshiba, Dell desktops and laptops.

From the bunch only two units have the weird issue.
All other USB units work just fine on USB 2, 3 and type C...slow but fine..They are supposed to be USB 3 but I doubt that since I could no get above 28.9 MB/s read speeds.

The two defective units will not work on Windows 10 and it does not matter the port (USB 2, USB 3 and USB type C)

You think so?
I also tried on several other PCs with different versions of Windows 10. So they all have the same driver issue. :??:

lol probobly

Completely different windows 10 machines should have different USB 3 host controllers, and that should be irrelevant using a USB 2.0 port.

The fact that the differentiating factor here is the usb stick, then there is something in the usb drives chip that is different or defective between the two.

Unfortunately you got what you paid for there.

I am not complaining or even upset about them been cheap. I just need it them to provide some files from a project to attendees and just need them to last a day.
I am just perplexed about theses two drives working everywhere but Windows 10 OS. I even tried on a PC with the latest Insider Preview. :ouch:

in the end, the no name USB sticks may be using some old legacy hardware that is not compatible with a modern version of windows.

I thought so, but then, I still have my ancient 16-year old 128MB Kingston flash drive and it works on Windows 10.
I know it has something to do with the Windows 10 OS.
I cannot find anyone with Windows 8 these days, I wanted to know if it behaves like 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.