[SOLVED] USB flash drive issues

J1983

Prominent
Oct 24, 2020
I was wondering if anyone could help out with an issue I am having with two usb drives. One is only a few weeks old and both have been working until I tried downloading windows 10 from the microsoft website.

Both drives stopped during the windows download at about the same point I believe. In disk management, they show as unallocated part of the time, and part of the time they show as healthy but I still can't format them like I want to. On the one that I keep messing with the most to try to figure something out, when it says unallocated and I click on new volume, it tells me a device which does not exist was specified. When I try to open it from my devices list in the system tray, it says "D:\ is not accessible - A device which does not exist was specified". After messing with it and plugging it in a bunch of times, it opened two different times and it showed windows files that are on the drive, but as soon as I clicked on anything or highlighted and clicked delete or format, it just brought up the blue busy or loading circle for a few minutes then says the device doesn't exist ?

The same thing happens on both pc's. I have had issues in the past with unallocated drives, but this time I can't figure anything out with them. Any help is definitely appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Appreciate the reply. The two currently messed up are Sandisk. The one I am currently trying everything to fix to figure something out is a Sandisk cruzer glide.

When trying to download windows, a front usb port was used. But, while trying to get them fixed after they were messed up, I have tried both front and back over and over with no luck. Thanks

The last time I created a Win10 USB Drive, it was a huge amount of data (~8GB), so I you should use a 16GB USB minimum.

If you believe that your USB meet all requirements, please make some tests transferring large files back and forth between the USB and your HDD to see if it passes, let's say a movie file of about 2GB or 3GB.

I recommend that you use one of the rear USB...

J1983

Prominent
Oct 24, 2020
What are the brands of your USB?

Creating Win10 USB drive requires a good quality USB as the writing process is quite intensive.

How did you connect your USB drives? Front connector? USB Hub?
Appreciate the reply. The two currently messed up are Sandisk. The one I am currently trying everything to fix to figure something out is a Sandisk cruzer glide.

When trying to download windows, a front usb port was used. But, while trying to get them fixed after they were messed up, I have tried both front and back over and over with no luck. Thanks

The last time I created a Win10 USB Drive, it was a huge amount of data (~8GB), so I you should use a 16GB USB minimum.

If you believe that your USB meet all requirements, please make some tests transferring large files back and forth between the USB and your HDD to see if it passes, let's say a movie file of about 2GB or 3GB.

I recommend that you use one of the rear USB ports directly to avoid any faulty cable.

Solution

J1983

Prominent
Oct 24, 2020

I recommend that you use one of the rear USB ports directly to avoid any faulty cable.
Yeah I'm not sure what to do. The flash drive is 16gb. Can't transfer files because the drive just freezes with the blue circle when clicking anything. I appreciate the help and suggestions. Thanks again

Let's fix the USB Drive issue first.

The process to create a bootable USB Drive for Win10 may take up to 30 minutes, you should make sure that you your USB drives work normally before continuing. Otherwise it could be a waste of time.

J1983

Prominent
Oct 24, 2020
Yeah that is what's weird. They both worked perfect until trying to download windows on them. They were still being used for other things right up until the windows download.

It's got me thinking the microsoft windows download process itself messed them up since that's exactly when both messed up. It's got me so confused how that could be the issue though.

Yeah that is what's weird. They both worked perfect until trying to download windows on them. They were still being used for other things right up until the windows download.

It's got me thinking the microsoft windows download process itself messed them up since that's exactly when both messed up. It's got me so confused how that could be the issue though.

Did you try your USB drives on another PC ?

No they refuse. They just freeze or don't respond. Sometimes they pop up the message that the device doesn't exist. Do you know of any free programs that may be able to take over and force a reformat?

You can use the Minitool Partition Wizard Free Edition.

It will show you everything on the USB that Windows can't.

You will see at least 3 partitions created by the previous process, you will delete them one by one to recover the whole space then format it directly with this tool.