USB Flash

I have a flash disk that shows as a mass storage device wit an exclamation
mark in other devices, complaining of missing drivers. Other xp machines
have never required a separate driver. Disk Management doesn't see it. All
USB ports function fine with other devices. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
--
Wayne f

Right click on it, click Uninstall, then reboot. Then unplug while the
computer is booting up, then plug it back in once Windows has loaded. If
it still doesn't work, try this:

Disconnect the devices and open the Registry Editor (Start-Run-regedit).
Navigate to HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB and look for the folder
containing information about the problematic devices. Now right click
on the folder labeled Vid_Xxxx that contains the information about the
problematic devices and click Permission. Allow full control of the
key, then right click on it and delete it. Now reboot and try again.

-----
Nathan McNulty

Waynef wrote:
> I have a flash disk that shows as a mass storage device wit an exclamation
> mark in other devices, complaining of missing drivers. Other xp machines
> have never required a separate driver. Disk Management doesn't see it. All
> USB ports function fine with other devices. Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks in advance

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried both techniques, but still the same. Since xp sees it as a mass
storage device but can't find drivers, is there a standard driver that I can
give it to make it happy? My pc is a Vaio. Do they not provide all of the
drivers?

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Right click on it, click Uninstall, then reboot. Then unplug while the
> computer is booting up, then plug it back in once Windows has loaded. If
> it still doesn't work, try this:
>
> Disconnect the devices and open the Registry Editor (Start-Run-regedit).
> Navigate to HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB and look for the folder
> containing information about the problematic devices. Now right click
> on the folder labeled Vid_Xxxx that contains the information about the
> problematic devices and click Permission. Allow full control of the
> key, then right click on it and delete it. Now reboot and try again.
>
> -----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Waynef wrote:
> > I have a flash disk that shows as a mass storage device wit an exclamation
> > mark in other devices, complaining of missing drivers. Other xp machines
> > have never required a separate driver. Disk Management doesn't see it. All
> > USB ports function fine with other devices. Can anyone help?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Waynef - I have the same problem with multiple USB devices (a flash drive and
digital camera) with a Vaio as well. If you get this figured out, would you
please let me know what your solution was?!

It seems like the WinXP that came with my Vaio is missing important USB
drivers...

Thanks,
PS

"Waynef" wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> I tried both techniques, but still the same. Since xp sees it as a mass
> storage device but can't find drivers, is there a standard driver that I can
> give it to make it happy? My pc is a Vaio. Do they not provide all of the
> drivers?

If you have a laptop, your USB ports may not be fully
supported with five wires and thus may not work with some
devices.
Check the manual for your model to see what is supported.

"PS_in_WA" <PS_in_WA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| Waynef - I have the same problem with multiple USB devices
(a flash drive and
| digital camera) with a Vaio as well. If you get this
figured out, would you
| please let me know what your solution was?!
|
| It seems like the WinXP that came with my Vaio is missing
important USB
| drivers...
|
| Thanks,
| PS
|
| "Waynef" wrote:
|
| > Thanks for the quick reply!
| >
| > I tried both techniques, but still the same. Since xp
sees it as a mass
| > storage device but can't find drivers, is there a
standard driver that I can
| > give it to make it happy? My pc is a Vaio. Do they not
provide all of the
| > drivers?

This is a one year old desktop. The USB ports seem to work with everything
else that i've tried,; USB HD, smartmedia reader, etc., all without requiring
drivers...very strange!

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> If you have a laptop, your USB ports may not be fully
> supported with five wires and thus may not work with some
> devices.
> Check the manual for your model to see what is supported.

> "PS_in_WA" <PS_in_WA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> | Waynef - I have the same problem with multiple USB devices
> (a flash drive and
> | digital camera) with a Vaio as well. If you get this
> figured out, would you
> | please let me know what your solution was?!
> |
> | It seems like the WinXP that came with my Vaio is missing
> important USB
> | drivers...
> |
> | Thanks,
> | PS
> |
> | "Waynef" wrote:
> |
> | > Thanks for the quick reply!
> | >
> | > I tried both techniques, but still the same. Since xp
> sees it as a mass
> | > storage device but can't find drivers, is there a
> standard driver that I can
> | > give it to make it happy? My pc is a Vaio. Do they not
> provide all of the
> | > drivers?

Two things come to mind, Your Flash reader or the card
could be defective OR as I said, the port may not have all
the wires required to run the device. It may not be a
matter of drivers, it could defective hardware or no
hardware support.

Have you looked inside the case to be sure all the wires are
connected if the port is not on the mobo?

"Waynef" <Waynef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| This is a one year old desktop. The USB ports seem to
work with everything
| else that i've tried,; USB HD, smartmedia reader, etc.,
all without requiring
| drivers...very strange!
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > If you have a laptop, your USB ports may not be fully
| > supported with five wires and thus may not work with
some
| > devices.
| > Check the manual for your model to see what is
supported.

| > --
| >

| > "PS_in_WA" <PS_in_WA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
| > message

| > | Waynef - I have the same problem with multiple USB
devices
| > (a flash drive and
| > | digital camera) with a Vaio as well. If you get this
| > figured out, would you
| > | please let me know what your solution was?!
| > |
| > | It seems like the WinXP that came with my Vaio is
missing
| > important USB
| > | drivers...
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | PS
| > |
| > | "Waynef" wrote:
| > |

xp
| > sees it as a mass
| > standard driver that I can
not
| > provide all of the

I just had a similar problem with my usb sticks. After a few tries I did the
following and now everything works fine.
I installed the update (WindowsXP-KB822603-x86-ENU) then rebooted.
Installed the usb storage stick in the USB hub. Uninstall the device from
device manager then scan for new devices. The driver usbstor.sys gets
installed fine and should be version 5.1.2600.1100