Question USB headset keeps connecting and disconnecting ?

Jan 31, 2022
I posted this problem on Reddit and didn't really get anywhere. Hoping that maybe I can get more help here. TL;DR My USB headset keeps connecting and disconnecting, I'm not sure if it's a power supply issue but the headset works on other computers fine.

I've done literally everything I can think of at this point aside from buying a new PC to fix this issue. It's the one where there's a popping sound, no audio for a few seconds, and then the audio reconnects on my Razer Kraken Kitty. I've found that this issue tends to occur a lot when there are sound spikes - for example, when I'm in Halo Infinite and my friend says something in Discord, I see his icon light up but the audio cuts out right when he talks. It also occurs when I'm playing solo somewhat randomly, but usually more when the game has a lot of sounds going on (like gunfire, explosions, characters talking etc.) The issue isn't really noticeable if I'm just watching YouTube or listening to Spotify, however.
Some of the methods I've used to try to fix the issue are as follows:
  • Fresh reinstall of Windows 10
  • Followed this guide on reinstalling Synapse
  • Bought an externally-powered USB 3.0 hub and plugged the headset into there rather than the PC (assuming it was a power draw issue)
  • Plugged the headset into my roommate's PC, where the headset worked fine (so I'm not sure if it's software issues or if the headset doesn't like my PC for some reason???)
  • Bought a second Kraken Kitty (I wanted both colors), but the issue persists whether I'm using my old Quartz or the new Black
  • Disabled THX audio/surround sound
  • Turned off the RGB lighting, also decreased it to 50% and 25% respectively to see if there were any changes
  • Reinstalled all audio drivers
  • Disabled the USB selective suspend setting
  • Turned off the Device Manager power management "allow this computer to turn off this device..." on all my USB ports, my headsets, everything
  • Tried to use the headset without Synapse, where it still kept disconnecting
That's everything I can think of that I've done so far, there's a chance I may have missed something I've tried. Razer support just kept telling me to try things I've already done so I feel as if I'm at a loss here, I really like this headset and I loved it before I got my new PC and they started having issues. My only thought is that it's maybe a power supply issue, because my supply is only 400W, but I have a DeathAdder Elite mouse and a Blackwidow V3 keyboard, both of which have no issues whatsoever. Not to mention, the externally supplied USB hub - which was my last resort today - didn't fix the issue.

Now, I do notice that when I reduce some power settings, the headset seems to do it a little less for a few moments before cutting out constantly again. I test using both Call of Duty: Cold War multiplayer as well as Halo Infinite multiplayer, so I'm positive it's not isolated to one game.
I'm not much of a computer-technical person so I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something obvious. But any recommendations at this point would be awesome. My PC is an HP TG01-2360 if that helps at all.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Fresh reinstall of Windows 10
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

If you're on Windows 10, include the OS version(not edition). BIOS version for your motherboard? You seem to have a prebuilt system, is that correct? If so, did you modify anything internally(like add a discrete GPU)? Spec list shows your build having an APU and a discrete GPU, if so, then the 400W unit isn't enough for the entire build. If this unit came as is, then I'd ask you to return it, the only way you're going to resolve the power issue(if you have an RTX 3060 and a 400W PSU) is to return it...or so the images have me think since it looks like a proprietary motherboard and PSU.

Reactions: ochaio

Butse

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2015
I'm having this exact issue aswell and its so frustrating.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3200
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
PSU: Corsair RM750, 750 Watt
Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma V2 USB

I can't seem to recreate this issue it just seems to happen randomly for me and its frustrating. Does your headset use Synapse 2 or 3?

Jan 31, 2022
I'm having this exact issue aswell and its so frustrating.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3200
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
PSU: Corsair RM750, 750 Watt
Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma V2 USB

I can't seem to recreate this issue it just seems to happen randomly for me and its frustrating. Does your headset use Synapse 2 or 3?
I'm just seeing this, but I believe the headset uses Synapse 3. I ended up returning the PC and got a PowerSpec PC with a bigger power supply instead, and that solved the issue. Sorry I can't be of more help.

TRENDING THREADS