USB hub and input from multiple devices.

StickyEntree

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
Hello,

I currently have a kind of home theatre set up, where my computer is across the room from my sofa (about 15ft), but I still want to use wired devices for gaming. Currently I just run a USB extension cable ( * ) from the front port of my computer, under the rug, then between the cushion of my couch where I plug my mouse. It works great, but unfortunately I still only have one port within distance, so my keyboard and headset are wireless.

To fix that issue I tried a USB hub ( ** ), but unfortunately it only recieves input from one device while powering the rest. For example I would plug in the mouse, it would work, then I would plug in the headset; the mouse would no longer work, but would still receive power, while the headset now worked instead.

Is there a USB hub that does the job? Can a single USB hub receive input from multiple devices at the same time, instead of just powering all of them?

tl;dr: I need a single USB hub that will allow a mouse, keyboard and headset to all function at the same time.

*: http://www.amazon.com/Importer520-Premium-Extender-Repeater-Extension/dp/B00FFKIUJS/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1455120692&sr=1-9&keywords=usb+extension+cable

**: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UMLS/dp/B00BWF5U0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455120381&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+hub

Solution
I'm assuming the two links you have posted are the equipment you are using. If so, I see the source of your problem.

You are right to expect that a hub should allow all its connected devices to communicate. Where your problem is, is power.

Any USB2 port (the one you're using on your computer) can supply connected devices IN TOTAL with up to 0.5 amps of power at 5VDC. The way you are doing things, the Active USB Extender cable is using a small amount of power for its built-in amplifier. The USB2 hub also uses a small bit of power. Then your mouse uses more, and that all works. THEN you plug in another power user, and things go wrong! This indicates that all those devices plugged into the hub need MORE power in total than can be...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm assuming the two links you have posted are the equipment you are using. If so, I see the source of your problem.

You are right to expect that a hub should allow all its connected devices to communicate. Where your problem is, is power.

Any USB2 port (the one you're using on your computer) can supply connected devices IN TOTAL with up to 0.5 amps of power at 5VDC. The way you are doing things, the Active USB Extender cable is using a small amount of power for its built-in amplifier. The USB2 hub also uses a small bit of power. Then your mouse uses more, and that all works. THEN you plug in another power user, and things go wrong! This indicates that all those devices plugged into the hub need MORE power in total than can be supplied by any standard USB2 port.

The solution? You need to get a POWERED USB2 hub, something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817205001&cm_re=usb_2_hub-_-17-205-001-_-Product

NOTE that it provides 4 USB2 ports AND comes with its own power supply block rated for 5VDC at 2 amps total. Thus, it CAN supply the full USB2 spec of 0.5 amps each to ALL of its ports at the same time. It does not get all it power from the computer's USB2 ports, and hence is not limited the way your current equipment is.

Be careful when reading USB2 hub specs and claims. They often are advertised as "powered" or "hub powered" or some such. But unless it comes with its own power "brick" that can supply the full 0.5 amps for EACH port simultaneously, it does not meet the USB2 specs for power.

Solution