[SOLVED] USB Keyboard Volume Wheel Stopped Working

enargins

Honorable
Dec 19, 2014
I have an old Dell USB keyboard that's been attached to my Windows 10 computer forever. All of a sudden, the volume wheel at the top of the keyboard stopped working, for no apparent reason. The wheel still clicks as I turn it. But it has no effect on the volume

The keyboard still works fine, and all the special keys at the top of the keyboard (pause, next, previous, email, mute, etc.) all continue to work. Only the volume wheel isn't working.

I tried rebooting the computer. Also I checked the Human Interface Device Service (hidserv) and it says "Running."

Is there anything else I can do or check? Or should I just chalk this up to a hardware failure and get a new keyboard?

Solution
It could be a hardware problem- probably the contact point is spent.

Test the key if its working.
  • You can either try to create a short cut /modifier key and assign the volume knob.
  • Use online keyboard tester.
You can also uninstall from the Device manager and reboot your system. It will auto detect the Keyboard.

Long shot try is to borrow an identical keyboard to test.

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
It could be a hardware problem- probably the contact point is spent.

Test the key if its working.
  • You can either try to create a short cut /modifier key and assign the volume knob.
  • Use online keyboard tester.
You can also uninstall from the Device manager and reboot your system. It will auto detect the Keyboard.

Long shot try is to borrow an identical keyboard to test.

Solution

enargins

Honorable
Dec 19, 2014
Actually, I plugged it into another computer I have, and it did the same thing. (The other computer detected and installed it, as it hadn't previously been used with that computer.) So that means the hardware is spent and nothing can be done, right?