usb mouse disconnects

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
so when I'm playing in game the severity of the disconnect increases. if I'm not running a game you might hardly notice it was even there at all. typically every 10 seconds the mouse will cut out for about 1-2 seconds however sometimes the frequency and intensity at which my mouse becomes unresponsive increases. i'm at my wits end here I've searched all over the forums and no solutions have helped me so far. the issue increases or decreases when i change out the USB ports to the different usb ports in the back of my PC. usb 2.0 is much worse and depending on which usb 3.0 port i use i can vary how often and intense the lapse of control occurs.

I've tried re-formatting and that doesn't help the issue. the cd that came with my MOBO has tons of extra drivers and software that i'm sure i don't need im not sure if maybe this is causing a conflict? I'm sure this isn't the right forum to post this to but i couldn't figure out which one would be better... can someone please point me in the right direction?

my specs:
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 69 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 658MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (CPUSocket) 35 °C
Graphics
W2240 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (ASRock)
1024MB AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Hard Drives
466GB Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device (SATA) 41 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

here is an update: i figured maybe since i have the new bios i would try a fresh format and see if that worked. i loaded up a fresh copy of windows 7 and insert my drivers disk that i downloaded from the asrock website. the first driver i try to load is the INF driver. everything goes clean and i restart. next up, internet drivers because since the mouse isn't having any problems so far i should be in the clear if i can just get internet. i try to install the LAN driver... cpu freezes. restart pc copy the file to desktop from cd unzip it try to run it like that... freezes. ok -_- . now i think well what would happen if i try to install the asrock usb drivers at this point? it gives me an error message of "there were errors created during the installation of your broadcom LAN drivers in order to move forward with the installation you need to remove these errors do you want to do this now?"(or something to that effect) i click yes. installed ASrock usb drivers successful, no sign of mouse lag yet. i go back to try and install the broadcom LAN drivers... immediately after successfully installing the LAN drivers the USB problem starts. that can't just be a coincidence can it?

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

originally on the first install i just clicked install all on the cd that came with my mobo. there was no mouse freezing issue but my pc was slowed down significantly. i guess maybe the mobo is just dying out it's just weird that the usb mouse works fine untill i try to install the LAN driver. i'll take the forums advice and request a new mobo from newegg i really just hope i dont wait a week just to have the exact same problem

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
so now i have to pay to ship this thing all the way back to California just to wait for them to send me another mobo. i don't think i could be any more frustrated right now.

G

Before you send it back, run memtest86+ just to make sure it isn't the RAM. That 658 MHz reading is a little odd. Download the .iso file:

http://www.memtest86.com/

and burn it to a CD or DVD then set your CD drive to the primary boot and let it load. The test will begin by itself and if there are any errors it is most likely the RAM.

Or, before you try that, try one stick of RAM at a time since you have 2x 4GB. Memtest86+ does take a while to complete the test, but it is worth it to be absolutely sure before you send the motherboard back.

jameshorng

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Hey I happened to see your post and i am facing the same problem right now. My mouse always auto disconnect within a certain time and only able to reconnect by replugging in SOMETIMES. If not, I would have to restart my comp in order to have it functioned again but it is not really effective too as it goes down in another 10-15 mins which is very frustrating for me. Did you get to know the problem is?

jameshorng

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Hey I happened to see your post and i am facing the same problem right now. My mouse always auto disconnect within a certain time and only able to reconnect by replugging in SOMETIMES. If not, I would have to restart my comp in order to have it functioned again but it is not really effective too as it goes down in another 10-15 mins which is very frustrating for me. Did you get to know the problem is?