USB not working for camera

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I recently built a new system and everything had been working fine but recently it won't recognize my camera/usb when it's connected.

It had worked originally but now -- although it beeps when plugging/unpluggin the usb cable -- nothing shows up on the computer at all. My wife mentioned that she had canceled out of something once when she plugged it in and it wouldn't work after that, but I can't figure out what it was she would have canceled or how to reset it.

Any ideas?

System information:

Windows 7 pro
i5-2500k
HD 6950
1tb spinpoint f3
8gb 1333 ram

The camera is a cannon powershot sx-130 is, if that matters.

This is the same for every usb port on the computer. Other devices (ipod, for example) are able to use the same usb ports with no problems and the camera works just fine on other computers.

As a side issue, can you plug usb 2.0 devices into a 3.0 port?

mubin

Distinguished
Set usb setting as mass storage in your camera if it is not and then see what happen. It should probably recognize as a removable disk by windows. You can able to copy your photos form there.

Of course you can plug usb 2.0 device into a usb 3.0 port. USB 3.0 port supports usb 3.0/2.0 device & USB 2.0 port supports usb 2.0/1.1 device.

w7pro

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Have you tried other devices in the ports? The worst case scenario is that something was unplugged improperly and the port is fried, but you probably want to test that before assuming as much.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Other devices work just fine in all the ports. It's just the camera, and just on this machine -- although it had worked in the past.

@ mubin:
I haven't seen any "mass storage" options on the camera. I normally just use the camera as an external drive rather than mess with whatever lame software they've bundled to download the pictures for you.

Is it possible that the computer has been told (due to my wife clicking on the wrong thing, for example) to ignore the camera when it's plugged in?

Would it help to uninstall the USB controller/HUB under device manager and then plug the camera into the port and have it reset whatever drivers it needs? If so, is there a way to tell which physical port corresponds to which controller/hub under device manager?

mubin

Distinguished
If you use the camera as an external drive then it is set as mass storage and it is use as other usb flash drive. Your computer will no longer detect your camera as a camera but as a usb flash drive. So there should have no problem and there is no way that computer has been told to ignore the camera. I never seen such thing.

I think your wife might cancel the auto-play feature for the camera. Check for it.

As you say your computer beep when you plug your camera & other device works fine in the same port, that means there is no problem in your computer's usb port. You can see which usb root hub working for your device only when you plug the device in device manager.

Give a try with your cannon soft. See what happen.

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

I'm not trying to be difficult but this is missing the problem.
Despite the computer beeping when the camera is plugged in nothing happens on the computer -- no new external drive is listed, no message shows up (usually I would expect something like "new usb device detected"), and that cannon software says something useless like, "camera not attached".
Autoplay not working does not bother me -- I wouldn't mind autoplay being disabled system wide as it always seems like more of a nuisance than a help -- the issue is that the camera is not being detected at all.
I've been loading the pictures on to an old laptop in the meantime, with no problems, but that's not a reasonable workaround considering this is a newly-built system.

I really can't think of what to try? Is there a way to reset the usb drives so that they have will reconfigure devices as they are plugged in for the "first time"?

LASERR00

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
When you plug in the cam .. go to device manager and look for it. If it shows up there as yellow question mark or something just delete/uninstall it and try plugging it again. If that doesnt work try different GFX drivers. Uninstall video drivers run driver sweeper and then install them again new once if you have. That should fix that problem. I had a problem like that and it was all because of my bad video drivers

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
It's been a while since I've had time to try anything but this afternoon I uninstalled all ATI drivers and ran driver sweeper then installed the newest ATI drivers. Nothing changed.

Under device manager nothing has a yellow question mark or flag.

The camera still makes a noise when being plugged in but other than that nothing happens on the computer; no pop-up detecting new hardware, no new drive listed under my computer, and the camera itself stays in camera mode when normally it would switch to some sort of transfer mode.

To reiterate -- the problem is only on this computer since the camera works just fine with my laptop and the USB ports work just fine as well (ipod commonly used in the same port every day). Also, this camera worked for a while but something happened and it's no longer showing up.

Does anyone have any idea?

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Just an update:

I found the camera under Portable Devices -- not under USB controllers where I had expected.

The problem is that there is no driver installed for when I try to update it it says it finds it (MTP USB device) but there is an error -- access denied.
I tried this while logged in as an administrator.

I've also tried downloading drivers from canon's website but all I can find is a viewer which doesn't seem to include a driver.

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
As I said, I've downloaded the software from canon (same as what is on the cd that came with the camera) but it's just viewing software and the computer (including the viewer) cannot find the camera.

I'm thinking that the problem is the MTP USB device -- that is what's listed under the camera properties in device driver. I get an access denied error when I try to update the drivers though. Several reboots with new change to that.

Cannon's website says it doesn't need a driver to work, which is why I think it must be a generic driver (as above) that's missing/has problems. I'm a little surprised that every other usb device works just fine, though.

One other thing -- I'm using Comodo firewall; is there a way that that could have accidentally been set to block the camera and if so how would I unblock it?

iddrag

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
We have the same problem you have and I am following this thread in hope of a solution as well.

We just updated to Window 7 (x64)
We have a Canon SX120 IS - Canon website says no driver required,
when I let Window 7 - update drivers we get an "MTP USB Device - Access denied" Error Message
We have Comodo Firewall, and when I plugged the camera in, the Comodo Firewall came up and I hit "Block" by accident
We turned off Comodo Firewall but that didn't solve the problem

Does Comodo Block files on the computer even if its turned off?

ballaratcastle

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Hi have a similar problem with a usb inspection camera that will work automatically on stand alone computers. First time into those comuputers it loaded drivers automatically and then opened a window showing the real time image however plugging it into our windows 7 64bit lap top it beeped showing the usb was working, automatically searched for drivers and loaded them but that was it. Can't see it in my computer but shows up in device manager. Run auto driver check and says all ok. Click Uninstall and then replug in and driver search loads again. Unplug usb and icon on device manager disappears plug it back in and up it comes again. I don't think it is a problem with your camera specifically and other threads say similar things with different usb items.. eg external hard drives other brand cameras but no one seems to have a definitive answer. Is it to do with the 64 bit tech as the stand alones are prob 32 bit. Cheers Steve

noelle-75

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Came across this thread while searching for an answer to this problem. Got my Canon EOS Rebel XT back from being cleaned and wouldn't work when I connected/usb to my Laptop (though it had before). Also closed a box after choosing what I thought was the right answer. Went to Canon's site and they don't have drivers for Windows 7 (64x) OS so went to Microsoft and typed "make my canon camera work in Windows 7 (64x)" into search. This is what they had to say:

- - - - - - - - - -

(Q: Windows 7 will not recognize my Canon Rebel xt camera, but easily accepts the Canon PowerShot Point and shoot as well as the Fuji Film Fine Pix camera. The memory disk for the xt is a Compact Flash Disk while the others use the smaller SD disk. So, without having to use a card reader, is there a work around?)

A: Change the setting in menu > the last icon > communication > change from PC to print/ptp and you will be able to communicate again with the camera

- - - - - - - - - -

Changed the setting on my camera, connected through usb and it loaded the correct driver and asked how to offload photos. Made my selection and nothing happened so I turned the camera off and on again... my photos are downloading right now...

Hope this can help someone out there. Noelle

maybe_11

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
i also had the same problem that's why i stumbled on this thread. and idk if it has been fixed already... but i managed to find the solution for mine. i just want to share it coz maybe it can help you or the others..
i checked my device manager, under other devices there's unknown devices and i tried to update the driver for that unknown device and there after it updated the files from my cam would show up already~

Brandonionz

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
It is strange, always this annoying problem, is it not compatible.

Happy New Years!
lareba.gif
:(

iverhaegen

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hi, I read through this whole thread and my issue is very similar but I couldn't figure out an answer. I am running XP.

When I plug in either of my two cameras (Both Canon, Powershot 110 HS and EOS Rebel XSi) I hear the tone of a new USB device, but the camera's are not seen by the computer or by my software which does not see any cameras connected.

When I plugged in my external HD, it was recognized and worked fine.

Up until today, both Cameras were recognized when I plugged in the USB connection and I happily downloaded my pictures, but I cannot figure out what changed.

I have gone through my device manager and there are no devices with warnings or errors, my USB Root Hub devices all are showing as functioning correctly.

The only thing I have done recently was to disable a number of my startup processes running MSConfig in order to speed up my startup, but after some review of those items, I was not able to find anything that could possibly have done this at least with my limited experience.

Any ideas?

unicorn77

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
I've had this yesterday and today, having been OK for months. Yesterday, it just started installing the device driver after switching the camera on and off. Today, that would not work. But I found the camera in device manager under portable devices and observed the yellow warning triangle etc. I right clicked on it and unistalled. Switching off and on then caused the driver to be installed yet again and downloads worked.

I'm wondering if it was a permanent solution. Hope so, but at least if it happens again I have a method to try.

friartuck

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
This worked for my camera (Fuji finepix) and my usb flash drives that were also not recognized.

Symptoms:
USB shows in the device manager (right click on my computer and click manage, devices) either "Unknown USB device" or "name of USB hard drive manufacturer" both of which have the yellow ! next to them saying they aren't installed correctly.

Resolution :
Right click on the device in the device manager that shows it isn't installed, click update driver software, enter this location assuming your C drive is your main drive
"C:\Windows\winsxs" and ensure the box is checked to include subfolders and hit ok. It should reinstall immediately and show up as a new drive in "My Computer"
You may have to uninstall the device first, replug it back in and then run through the above steps.

physoc

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Not and answer, but I'm having the same problem with my Canon G7. The first time I plugged ot in the 'device driver' apparently loaded OK. I download files....Later when I plugged the camera in again....noithing! Eventually I restored the PC from a backup to prior to the original install, and then OK. The driver installed, I download files. Then later....nothing! It seems that something is killing the camera drivers at some point.
I checked the firewall and I have the Canon bits OK'd, so I'm unclear what's going on.
My other camera (Nikon) also has stopped linking.
Both work fine on the laptop....?

Update. I can manually install MTP USB (in device manager) and it all works fine. However if I reboot the problem comes back. I beleive that the system is not initiallising MTP USB at boot-time. Maybe in the SERVICES there is something that's disabled? Anyone got any suggestions?

UPDATE: SOLVED!
The problem was with a SERVICES entry; WUDFSVC (Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework) which should be running all the time and set as Automatic start....it wasn't! In the event I had to modify the registry entries for WUDFSVC (I think I had three) and find the START mode entry and modify them to (2) (automatic). They had got set to (3) (manual). Since doing this the system is working fine again.

physoc

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

Check my solution at the end of this thread.