Question USB overcurrent status detected - System will shut down after 15 seconds.

Jul 30, 2022
So about 8 times out of 10, when I boot my PC I am greeted with this error. "USB overcurrent status detected - System will shut down after 15 seconds." Unplugging all of my USB devices and performing a power drain didn't fix it . Unplugging the case USB headers did not fix it either, which probably means that this is a problem with my motherboard. I blasted compressed air into my motherboard ports and then looked into them with a flashlight and did not find any debris. The ports are, to my untrained eye, undamaged. After several rounds of unplugging all of my devices, turning the PC on, plugging them back in when my PC turns itself off, then turning it back on, the error stops and my machine successfully POSTs. I don't know if my efforts actually accomplish anything, because waiting several hours (I gave up and went to sleep) also resolves the error, so it's possible that whatever current my mobo is complaining about dissipates with time.

I work from home so having a computer that just refuses to boot for a period of time is not ideal. I hope one of you fine people can provide some wisdom on what might be happening here, because I am very confused as to what could be causing this. It can't be the USB devices and it doesn't seem to be the ports, yet the motherboard evidently isn't FUBAR as I am currently typing this from my PC.

Specs:
MOBO: MSI X570-A PRO
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: Radeon 5700xt
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W

So about 8 times out of 10, when I boot my PC I am greeted with this error. "USB overcurrent status detected - System will shut down after 15 seconds." Unplugging all of my USB devices and performing a power drain didn't fix it . Unplugging the case USB headers did not fix it either, which probably means that this is a problem with my motherboard. I blasted compressed air into my motherboard ports and then looked into them with a flashlight and did not find any debris. The ports are, to my untrained eye, undamaged. After several rounds of unplugging all of my devices, turning the PC on, plugging them back in when my PC turns itself off, then turning it back on, the error stops and my machine successfully POSTs. I don't know if my efforts actually accomplish anything, because waiting several hours (I gave up and went to sleep) also resolves the error, so it's possible that whatever current my mobo is complaining about dissipates with time.

I work from home so having a computer that just refuses to boot for a period of time is not ideal. I hope one of you fine people can provide some wisdom on what might be happening here, because I am very confused as to what could be causing this. It can't be the USB devices and it doesn't seem to be the ports, yet the motherboard evidently isn't FUBAR as I am currently typing this from my PC.

Specs:
MOBO: MSI X570-A PRO
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: Radeon 5700xt
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W
Your motherboard doesn't have a built on io for it back cover??? So what I would assume happened is a metal tab from the io you have to install got bent to far installing the Mobo and was forced into a USB port causing a short

Jul 30, 2022
Your motherboard doesn't have a built on io for it back cover??? So what I would assume happened is a metal tab from the io you have to install got bent to far installing the Mobo and was forced into a USB port causing a short
It does, sorry if I didn't make that clear in my post. I checked the IO cover and there doesn't seem to be anything bent out of place, furthermore if this was the issue wouldn't I always get an overcurrent and not only sometimes?
I've been installing some software on my PC today and had to reboot twice within 10 minutes. First reboot went fine, the second reboot gave me the error. I unplugged my power supply from the wall, did a power drain and waited for a few minutes before plugging it back in & turning it back on. And like magic, it booted up on the first try, without me touching any of the USB devices I had plugged in, so waiting for the current to dissipate seems to be the trick. So it doesn't seem like I need a new motherboard (at least not yet) but I'd still really like to know why this is happening.

It does, sorry if I didn't make that clear in my post. I checked the IO cover and there doesn't seem to be anything bent out of place, furthermore if this was the issue wouldn't I always get an overcurrent and not only sometimes?
I've been installing some software on my PC today and had to reboot twice within 10 minutes. First reboot went fine, the second reboot gave me the error. I unplugged my power supply from the wall, did a power drain and waited for a few minutes before plugging it back in & turning it back on. And like magic, it booted up on the first try, without me touching any of the USB devices I had plugged in, so waiting for the current to dissipate seems to be the trick. So it doesn't seem like I need a new motherboard (at least not yet) but I'd still really like to know why this is happening.
It sounds like from what you just explained you found the problem, the psu capacitors are over volting and sounds like their over volting the motherboard, do you have a secondary psu to test? A second PC with similar psu specs that runs fine, if so try using the psu from it for a little bit