Question Usb overcurrent, temperature related?

Jul 15, 2024
My computer has this weird bug where if i’ve been using it and try to restart or turn it off then on again it gives me the usb overcurrent error but then turns on fine a few hours after some downtime. Recently my AC broke and mid georgia temps make the house extremely warm and now my PC always gives the overcurrent error. Tried CMOS reset, disconnecting front usb ports, booting with only the monitor connected. Nothing has worked and I can’t find answers anywhere.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
My computer has this weird bug where if i’ve been using it and try to restart or turn it off then on again it gives me the usb overcurrent error but then turns on fine a few hours after some downtime. Recently my AC broke and mid georgia temps make the house extremely warm and now my PC always gives the overcurrent error. Tried CMOS reset, disconnecting front usb ports, booting with only the monitor connected. Nothing has worked and I can’t find answers anywhere.
Do you have more than one USB device connected? If so, disconnect them one at a time.

Ralston18

Titan
Where/source of the USB over current error?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.,

Include PSU and disk drives.

The downtime suggests to me that something is getting hot and, with the system off, eventually cools and all is well again.

At least until all heats up again.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, pinched/kinked wires, browning or blackening, missing or loose screws, cracks, corrosion, swollen components.