[SOLVED] USB port not working with any device

Sep 27, 2022
Hi, just the other day one of the USB 3.0 ports on my PC tower completely stopped working. The PC is running Windows 11. The port's been perfectly functional for the last 4 years. The last thing I was trying to do was plug in a 32GB USB drive, and the computer had said that it detected it but the drive wasn't set up correctly. I gave up with that drive, and I don't quite remember what I did after that, but ever since then the port hasn't been working at all.

I've tried every device I have - mouse, keyboard, headset, external hard drive, etc. and none of them work or are recognized by Windows. It's not a device problem because all of those devices work in any of the other USB ports.

I checked the device manager and didn't find any driver problems, driver updates, or yellow exclamation marks, I ran the Windows troubleshooters and didn't find anything, I checked for Windows updates, and I restarted the PC multiple times. I tried Googling but couldn't find anyone on the Internet with a similar problem yet. I also physically checked the USB port for damage and couldn't see anything unusual, and I cleaned out the inside with compressed air, but nothing worked.

Any other suggestions on what I can try? Or do I need to get the port completely replaced? Let me know if you need any other specs.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you are running Windows 10, it seems that you are another victim of the last Windows update that disable many USB 3.0 controllers from Renesas, Via, ASM...

You should locate the brand of the USB 3.0 chip on your computer and try to find the latest drivers from the manufacturers, or simply wait for a possible fix from MS.

Sep 27, 2022
If you are running Windows 10, it seems that you are another victim of the last Windows update that disable many USB 3.0 controllers from Renesas, Via, ASM...

You should locate the brand of the USB 3.0 chip on your computer and try to find the latest drivers from the manufacturers, or simply wait for a possible fix from MS.

Sorry, should've mentioned that I'm running Windows 11. Do you know if the latest update for Windows 11 has the same problem?