Usb ports not working

rmulderjr

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
I went to reinstall windows 10 to clean all previos owners information. All was going good until I could no longer use mouse or keyboard to continue the fresh install. The mouse and keyboard work in bios but that is it??

Hello rmulderjr

Can you please confirm at what particular point do the keyboard and mouse stop working? I mean, at Windows loading screen, or the time when you try to click the Install now button, or at any other screen or phase?

Also, please confirm if it is a laptop or desktop computer?

In case of laptop, you may need to hard reset it by unplugging it from the power supply, pulling out its battery, and pressing and holding down the Power button for 45 to 60 seconds.

In case of desktop, please try clearing the CMOS by pulling out its CMOS Battery, and leaving the computer alone for 45 to 60 minutes before you put the battery back in and power on the PC.

Please report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

rmulderjr

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
It is a desktop as soon as the pc starts installing windows the lights on the keyboard and the mouse no longer works. There is no ps2 plugin either. I will try removing the battery and report back.

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
is Your keyboard/mice plugged via any USB hub? as windows installer needs 3 minutes to power it up. or sometime it will not even try to power it up. try to plug it without usb hub. I mean directly keyboard to laptops usb. mouse directly to another laptops usb

rmulderjr

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017