[SOLVED] USB Ports Randomly stop Working

Mar 26, 2022
The USB ports on my desktop I just build all randomly stop working and they won't work until i restart the computer by holding the power button. It is the same across all the USB ports on the case and the motherboard. When i go to device manager it shows no issues and I've updated all drivers.

Also when the issue arises and I try to restart or shutdown, the prosser goes on and on and it doesn't shut down my PC that's why I have to long press the power button to shut down. Any type of loading while this issue arises never finishes and always gets stuck at 90% untill I force shutdown to restart.

When the ports stop working, I am also able to still use my mouse and keyboard untill I unplug them once, then when I plug them back in, they won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how I can fix it? thank you

SPECS
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z690 gaming X DDR4 ATX
Ram - corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2×16GB
Cpu - Intel i7 12700k
GPU - EVGA 3080ti ftw3 ultra gaming
Power supply - RM850x corsair gold, 850w
Storage - SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus M.2
NVME PC-E 2TB

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry for late reply.

Are all system drivers up to date? If not make sure the most recent drivers are all installed.

It would be worth considering a bios update. It's possible the USB thing is a bug in a bios, so updating it may solve the issue for you.

Try drivers first then bios, and let us know how you get on.
Mar 26, 2022
The USB ports on my desktop all randomly stop working and they won't work until i restart the computer by holding the power button. It is the same across all the USB ports on the case and the motherboard. When i go to device manager it shows no issues and I've updated all drivers.

Also when the issue arises and I try to restart or shutdown, the prosser goes on and on and it doesn't shut down my PC that's why I have to long press the power button to shut down. Any type of loading while this issue arises never finishes and always gets stuck at 90% untill I force shutdown to restart.

When the ports stop working, I am also able to still use my mouse and keyboard untill I unplug them once, then when I plug them back in, they won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how I can fix it? thank you
Hey there,

Please list your PC specs, and we can advise better.

Cheers
Hey, my specs are
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z690 gaming X DDR4 ATX
Ram - corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2×16GB
Cpu - Intel i7 12700k
GPU - EVGA 3080ti ftw3 ultra gaming
Power supply - RM850x corsair gold, 850w
Storage - SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus M.2
NVME PC-E 2TB

Sorry for late reply.

Are all system drivers up to date? If not make sure the most recent drivers are all installed.

It would be worth considering a bios update. It's possible the USB thing is a bug in a bios, so updating it may solve the issue for you.

Try drivers first then bios, and let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Satan-IR
Solution