[SOLVED] Usb randomly losing power?

Jazara87

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
Hello fellow humans,

Hope ya'll safe and sound. Recently I've been experiencing an issue with my usb ports where they would randomly stop working until I perform a computer restart. I am talking specifically about the usb ports which are connected to my PS4 controller and headphones. Its important to note that the usb connections in question are found in the front of the case AND the back. My keyboard, speakers and mouse are all connected to usbs with no issues whatsoever. Sometimes, a message saying that the usb device needs more power than the port can supply would pop when either of my controller or headphones stop working. Any idea what could the problem be?

Thank you for taking the time to assist.

Jazara

Solution
Actually, Colif's post above is VERY likely your cause. A standard USB 2 port can supply up to 0.5 A current from EACH port. You have several items connected, and some like keyboard and mouse are low power users. But speakers attached to a small amplifier, a game controller and some headphones can use much more. You have reported actual messages that one or more USB-connected devices need more power.

So, as Colif says, look for a powered Hub. And not one that says "bus powered" - that merely means it gets all its power from the host port on the computer, and that is your original problem. You need one with its own included power module ("wall wart") with adequate ratings. What ratings? Well, although you may well be using USB 2 ports...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, Colif's post above is VERY likely your cause. A standard USB 2 port can supply up to 0.5 A current from EACH port. You have several items connected, and some like keyboard and mouse are low power users. But speakers attached to a small amplifier, a game controller and some headphones can use much more. You have reported actual messages that one or more USB-connected devices need more power.

So, as Colif says, look for a powered Hub. And not one that says "bus powered" - that merely means it gets all its power from the host port on the computer, and that is your original problem. You need one with its own included power module ("wall wart") with adequate ratings. What ratings? Well, although you may well be using USB 2 ports on your computer, you will likely find most now are designed for USB 3. That's OK - they will work. You can plug one into a host port of either the USB 2 or USB 3 type. The only difference is that the data transfer rate of a USB 2 ports is slower, but you already are using that rate. IF your system has a USB 3 port, use it.

Returning to power, a USB 3 standard port must supply power at 5 VDC up to 0.9 A PER PORT. So multiply the number of Hub output ports by 0.9, and that's how many AMPS the charger module should supply. But here it gets tricky, unfortunately! The power from the port is a 5 VDC, but often the charger modules supplied are sending power at 12 VDC to the hub, and the Hub makes the conversion. So we have to deal with this in terms of WATTS. Watts = Volts x Amps. Output of 5 VDC at 0.9 A amounts to a max of 4.5 Watts per port. So the WATTS rating of the charger module ideally should be 4.5 times the number of ports on the Hub. HOWEVER, it almost never is! They build these things with LESS that a fully capable power supply module because it's cheaper and they rely on the real fact that you almost never use ALL of the output ports at MAX power simultaneously. Still, you should choose a Hub that comes with a power module that can supply lots of power, even if you have to buy a hub with too many ports to get a higher-power charger included.

You do not indicate that you are using any USB ports as a way the CHARGE something like a phone. Many Hubs include Charging Ports. These are ports that can supply more than standard 0.9 A current to charge other devices, and that means IF you are using them for that purpose your charging module needs to have a larger rating. You're not doing that, I believe. However, watch for a small detail. Many of these "charging ports" can be used for that purpose OR as normal hub ports with no problem. But a few say their charging ports are restricted to that use only.

Here's an example of a USB 3 Hub with the common Type A ports. It has 4 standard USB3 ports and one charging-only fifth port. It include as power module capable of 24 W, or 6 W per USB port if you are NOT using the charging-only port. Each port has its own on / off switch if you want to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/ikuai-Splitt...s/dp/B07Y5VWLDB/ref=psdc_281413_t1_B085ZJWMV2

If you have more than 4 items to connect, consider this plan. Leave your low-power devices like keyboard and mouse on computer USB2 ports. Move to the Hub with its higher power capability only the high-power items. IF your computer has a USB3 port on it, use that for the Hub so that the higher data rate of that port can be shared among the devices connected to the Hub.

Solution