Asus Rog Strix RTX 3070 @ stock clocks
Ryzen 7 5800x @ stock clocks
NZXT Kraken X73 360mm AIO
Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G32C16U4BL 32GB @ XMP Stock Profile
Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750w
Samsung Evo 970 M2 1TB SSD (OS)
Samsung Evo Plus 970 M2 1TB SSD
Crucial MX500 2TB SSD

I build this PC a year ago - all new hardware. Had some hickups (1) (2) (3) in the beginning but eventually everything seemed to work fine. A few months ago I was beginning to notice seemingly random USB plug-in and unplugging sounds followed by the PC beginning to stutter every few seconds for a random amount of time. (Only the screens are stuttering, sound is fine) This happens randomly while playing games or while idling. According to task manager the workload is nowhere near max. Temps are also fine. GPU @ max 63 °C and CPU at 70 °C~. (Usually 30 seconds - 5 minutes) I didn't change anything software or hardware wise. I already updated the BIOS to 2803, updated drivers (including chipset), installed Samsungs NVME driver, checked crystal disk (1) (2) (3) and plugged every USB device into a non USB 3 port. After updating the BIOS the USB unplugging sound went away but the stuttering still happen. I pretty much don't know what else to try. Maybe someone on here encountered something similar and is able to help. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (1 year ?), condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the stutters.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Look for what changes just before or at the time of the stutters.

= = = =

Another thing you can do is to shut down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for signs of damage: pinched or kinked wires, browned or blackened areas/components, loose or missing screws, etc., etc..