USB Tethering to router using laptop

Austin_95

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
Ok, so ive done a bunch of research and i cant quite figure out how to succeed at what im trying to do. I would like to use the internet connection from my android phone using USB tethering, to create a wireless connection either by using my laptops wireless or preferably using a router connected via ethernet. I currently have internet working on my laptop using USB tethering with PdaNet. But i would like to have router connected to the laptop via Ethernet so i can connect my ps4 and 1 other device in my house to the router which would have internet from my phone carrier. Hopefully this all makes sense and hopefully someone out there has the answer. Saves me 70$ a month with not having to get internet to the house.

Solution
Change the DHCP range if you want to manually set IP addresses. so like make 192.168.19.100 as the minimum DHCP range.
You may have to play with the WAN setup as well to get it to work with PDAnet.

Are you SURE your data plan would support data usage like that?
Cause phone companies are the biggest a-holes about data usage.

Your PS4 should also have wireless, so it should be able to use your phone as a hotspot. Unless your phone only supports USB tethering for data connections.
If the 1 other device isn't wireless.... it gets complicated.

Give this article a read, you can turn your laptop into a router, kind of: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool-websites/home-computer-router/

Austin_95

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
i have a workaround, my hotspot is capped at 10gb but using pdanet it shows no hotspot usage when i login to view my data usage. its counting my hotspot usage just as mobile usage which is unlimited

It is surprising that the providers do not look for pdanet since it is intentionally designed to bypass the tethering limitations. Although you might be able to trick the phone into thinking this is not a tethered connection the ISP can tell if they really want to.

It is pretty easy to see when you are running stuff that can not be run on a phone platform that you must be tethered. The browser even tell the OS and patch level as well as the screen resolution you are using. This is all sent in clear text in the http headers. The ISP can tell immediately if they choose.

Even if you were using the native tethering your largest issue with using a router is you can not load a driver to the router. Routers only support a very small number of mobile broandband modems and even a smaller list of tethered devices.

You might be able to use you laptop as the router. ICS has been the method used but I have never done it on win10 and I have been told it works different. Microsoft has very good documentation on how to share your internet connection. Still you have to be careful what you run on the computer since it can degrade the performance of other traffic passing though it.

Austin_95

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
im aware they could catch on...but for now idk lol
I have windows 7 and Linux loaded on my laptop. so maybe that would work better? But theres no way to just connect the ethernet to the router and run the usb tethering straight to the router and have the router set up as a bridge?

Austin_95

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
and pdanet is actually blocked on playstore, was there when i had tmobile now that i switched my unlocked phone to att it shows up as blocked. im sure they look for people doing what im doing but only look at the like top 1 percent of heavy users or something.. Cause thats alot more money being put in to catching people.

Austin_95

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
ok so i tried the ics process but im running into issues. whenever i try and change my router lan ip i cannot connect to it again. Heres my info as follows.
ipv4 address from pdanet 192.168.1.19.2 (preffered)
gateway and dhcp server 192.168.19.1
Local area Connection 192.168.1.1

Whenever i try and disable dhcp on the router and go into lan setup and change LAN TCP/IP Setup to an ip address of 192.168.19.3 i cannot access the router without resetting it. What am i doing wrong? Router is a wnr2000 w/genie setup if that makes a difference.
Screnshot of router settings.
http://i66.tinypic.com/1yoart.png

Your computer is the router. You would need to run the actual router as a AP. You should be able to change the lan IP to anything you want but it must be on the 192.168.1.1 network that you ICS machine is providing. The ICS will act as the DHCP server.

The think I forgot is the driver the PDANET is using to tether must have the sharing option that ICS uses. If that option does not exist then I don't know. The method I have used was a normal tethering that the phone directly supported that one has the option.

Start very simply and plug your ps4 or something directly into the pc. ICS is very close to a hack that microsoft did not remove for some reason. It is left over from when you used to use dialup modems and wanted to share the connection.

Now if you really can load a linux image and it has a driver that works with the phone that may be easier. All linux images can be used as a router with the proper iptables settings. There are prebuilt linux router images. Again this trick is going to be having a driver that will allow the phone to appear as a network connection.