USB vs. PS2 for mouse!

G

I have a cool logitech mouse that can be connected to USB port and also has an adapter to connect to PS2 port. I know that USB is kind of a adanced thing so connected to USB this mouse should be faster, right? better performance?

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Never thought I would hear the words "mouse" and "performance" in the same sentence.

I use the PS2 port for my mouse which can also use the USB port, I do this because with USB, the device is not active until Windows finishes loading, that means no mouse during Windows install and other inconvienent times

G

HUH? I have WinME and I always SEE and MOVE the mouse, even when install it, didn't you ever heard about MOUSE ACCELERATORS?

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Why waste a perfectly good USB port on a mouse when you have a PS2 port back there that will do nothing else?

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

G

for one thing this USB port has nothing to do, plus it specially for mouse as my mobo says adn another thing I lost USB to PS2 adapter and now I can't find one in any store!

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Those adapters are a bitch to find! I spotted them in a local clone shop and snapped up their entire inventory for a bunch of USB mice that an administrator in our corporate office had bought.
Here's their site if you'd like to contact them for one. It was 5 bucks.
http://www.reliablepc.com (Custom Edge Computing in Bellvue, WA)

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Heh, well at least losing the adaptor has answered your question.

It's always difficult to make a choice, when so little depends on the result...

G

One thing that bugs me about those USB to PS/2 converters is that they are so long - i.e., they stick out too far, which means (a) extra space required behind the case, and (b) they tend to wobble around and fall out. For mice, USB sucks. But those adaptor things suck too. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Unless you have Superman's vision, you won't see a difference between the two.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>