[SOLVED] usb vs sata hdd

Solution
i'm sure those older sata 2 drives are ready to be retired. rather than an add-on card i'd get another 3 tb or so drive like you already have and replace one of the older sata 2 drives. that would give the best performance. especially if you are concerned abut speed, then those old drives are molasses slow compared to even a new sata spinning drive.

i use WD blue sata drives myself and have 3 of them installed (1 tb and 2 tb models). the new ones read and write a ton faster than any of the old spinning drives i've ever used. not as fast as ssd for sure, but well over 100 MB/s which is great for a spinning disk.

but if you do decide on an add-on card, then the sata option is the best choice. but for just static data drive, speed is...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what do you mean by optimal? for what use? please provide more information on what you plan to do with this drive, your expectations for the drive, and any other information you can provide that will help us offer the best advice.

different uses bring different requirements and different solutions

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
what do you mean by optimal? for what use? please provide more information on what you plan to do with this drive, your expectations for the drive, and any other information you can provide that will help us offer the best advice.

different uses bring different requirements and different solutions
I am looking for storage device on my pc.
By optimal i mean read/write speeds.
I have 2 ssd one 256 GB other 512 GB.
I have 3 other hdd drives. 2 old drives Samsung 3.5" SATA II (HD154UI) - which i do not have any problem to this point and
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 3.5" SATA III (WD1002FAEX) which begin to show few unstable sectors recently.
The new one WD Blue 3TB 3,5" (WD30EZRZ).
Last sata is used by my dvd.
So i have to buy pcie expansion card for additional sata or expansion card for internal usb 3.0.
Is buying wd red drive for gamer/home use better then buying blue drives since my pc will be running a lot.
Since red is a nas drive will i see any problems when mounting them in home pc ?
I hope this is all the information you need.
Cheers

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm sure those older sata 2 drives are ready to be retired. rather than an add-on card i'd get another 3 tb or so drive like you already have and replace one of the older sata 2 drives. that would give the best performance. especially if you are concerned abut speed, then those old drives are molasses slow compared to even a new sata spinning drive.

i use WD blue sata drives myself and have 3 of them installed (1 tb and 2 tb models). the new ones read and write a ton faster than any of the old spinning drives i've ever used. not as fast as ssd for sure, but well over 100 MB/s which is great for a spinning disk.

but if you do decide on an add-on card, then the sata option is the best choice. but for just static data drive, speed is not really a concern. you'll write the data once and then read it a few times here and there. those expensive fast drives are more for people who are accessing that data non-stop. loading games into ram, rendering video and such needs are really the only reason to justify the prices of super fast drives.

Solution