Question Usb wifi adapter causing pc to shut down

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
Suddenly earlier today my usb wifi adapter started to turn off my pc as soon as i plug it in.

I've tried another usb Wi-Fi adapter but the result was the same.

My energy options are geared towards High Performance.

The problem occurs on both Windows 10 and 7.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model USB wireless adapters?

Windows 10 and 7 : dual boot computer? Same computer? Same USB port? I/O panel, front panel?

Do the USB wifi adapters work on other computers?

My thought is that plugging in the wifi adapter is causing a short circuit and the host pc turns off.

Try other USB ports. Try using a USB extension cable between the wireless adapter(s) and the host USB port(s).

Even a slight change in the physical connection could make a difference.

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
Fx6300
8gb ddr3
R7 240 2gb
Psu generic 500W

I've tried other usb ports, the adapters work on other PCs. I also tried using an usb extention cable,
The pc shuts down as soon as I plug in the wifi usb adapters.

I have Windows 10 and 7 on dual boot.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model USB wireless network adapters? Source?

Test both wireless network adapters in another known working computer to ensure that the wireless adapters are still functional.

If you plug in the wireless network adapter with the host computer off and unplugged then plug in and power on the computer does the computer sucessfully boot and the adapter(s) work?

= = = =

PSU generic 500W - how old? Condition: original to build, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, even bit-mining?

Take another look for any possible information regarding PSU make and model.

Modular - correct? Noted that you swapped a cable. Where did that cable come from? Only the cables that come with a Modular PSU should be used with that PSU.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect all around the USB ports.

Check all other connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections.

Look for any signs of damage, cracks, bent metal contacts, etc.. Some sort of short is my thought.

Also check Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events captured just before or at the time of the shutdowns.

Are there any "Windows not properly shutdown" errors? Or other events similar to such?