USB wireless adapters that support Hosted Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2018
Hello,

As the title states, I would like to take advantage of the "Hosted Network" feature in Win10, so that I can use my PC to broadcast wifi from my ethernet connection to my PS4, Chromecast, phone, etc, as my router is on the opposite end of the house from my room and I don't feel like running another 100ft ethernet cable upstairs.

Unfortunately, it seems that hosted network support isn't listed on most product descriptions, and Googling hasn't netted me any results. So with that in mind, do any of you have any recommendations for wireless adapters that support hosted networks?

I would appreciate any help you can give!

Solution

A router at that location would not require running a second cable.
You plug your current PC into the new router.
Your existing ethernet-------->new router(configured as access point)--------->PC, and devices, both wired and WiFi.

And your ISP has nothing to do with this new router. It would be configured as an Access Point, behind the main router. You turn off most of the "router" functionality...
Apr 14, 2018

Hi, my ISP has stated that they don't allow second routers, and I might look into an access point, but I was hoping for something cheaper that didn't require me to run a second cable.

USAFRet

Titan

Your existing ethernet-------->new router(configured as access point)--------->PC, and devices, both wired and WiFi.

And your ISP has nothing to do with this new router. It would be configured as an Access Point, behind the main router. You turn off most of the "router" functionality.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

Any inexpensive router would work.
It would give you WiFi and 4x LAN ports at that location.

Solution

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

And your ISP has nothing to do with this new router. It would be configured as an Access Point, behind the main router. You turn off most of the "router" functionality.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

Any inexpensive router would work.
It would give you WiFi and 4x LAN ports at that location.

I was wondering it you could please answer his question, as I have the same question. Does any one of you have any recommendations for wireless adapters that support hosted networks.
Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.