USBs slowed while cpu loading

itarachiu

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2016
Hi,

Yesterday I got my order. A gigabyte GB-BSi5-6200, put into this little box 16gb. Everything works fine untill I hang up the box in the back of my monitor(vesa mount). Then I start to realise I got intreruptions for my wireless keyboard+mouse, Logitech both on CPU load.

Here are the symptoms
My mouse+keyboard are 20 cms away from the usb recivier, everything works great while i surf the web, not too much cpu loading.
If I start the Prime95 benchmark which stress the CPU in 100% load, both keyboard and mouse start to not respond and here is the bizzare thing. If i keep the mouse or keyboard closely to the usb recivier are working fine. If i stay 20cms like I usually stay on my desk they don't respond everytime I push a button or a move the mouse. If I am one metter away from usb recivier with the mouse has no respond!!!!! What is wrong?! Is this normal?

Also I saw even if I plug a usb memory stick... I got the same thing with intreruptions... What could be the problem?

Maybe this could help:
- I tried to plug a wired logitech mouse while prime95 was running and everything is fine, the cursor works fine.
- The cursor in bios with both types of mouse wired or wireless, is working lets say fine... with no intreruptions but is not like in Windows, the fps are much slower for sure.
- WIFI drops too when prime95 benhmark is running.
- OS, Win10 x64.
- Drivers installed from manufacture CD.

Again, what is the problem? How I can solve this.
Thank you.

Solution
USB in general relies heavily on the CPU. The faster the CPU can process the information, the more updates per second the USB port can poll. Otherwise, it just gets backed up in the queue of things the CPU needs to process, making mouse inputs seems sluggish and laggy and sporadic.

If you're attempting to load the CPU at 100% with a Prime95 torture test, I wouldn't expect your mouse to be very responsive. Wireless only makes the matter worse, since each poll needs more information to be processed (wireless signal + input signal, rather than just the input signal).

KeelinTy

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
Windows 10 has issues with wireless mice. I built my dad a machine and his wireless mouse stutters while high internet usage and sometimes high cpu load. My laptop does the same except it lags alot more. Using a wired mouse fixes it for me on all of my machines. I even tested it on my main rig but It didnt bother me since I use a wired gaming mouse 24/7 on that pc.

There is no way to fix it that I know of. Sorry I couldnt be of any help.

itarachiu

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2016

I was wondering maybe is something broken into my motherboard or something. I will test right now I will put a HDD with win7 on it from my laptop, hope it will run to do some tests. I tried first to install win7 but no mouse and keyboard on install screen, but there is a fix for that. Thank you.

amtseung

Distinguished
USB in general relies heavily on the CPU. The faster the CPU can process the information, the more updates per second the USB port can poll. Otherwise, it just gets backed up in the queue of things the CPU needs to process, making mouse inputs seems sluggish and laggy and sporadic.

If you're attempting to load the CPU at 100% with a Prime95 torture test, I wouldn't expect your mouse to be very responsive. Wireless only makes the matter worse, since each poll needs more information to be processed (wireless signal + input signal, rather than just the input signal).

Solution

itarachiu

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2016

Ok you answered to my questions, but here are some updates: I just re-installed Win10 again, I notice there is laggy mouse even in Windows installer(only wireless, the wired one works fine), where the CPU is not really 100%, how about this? Also I tried a match in dota2 just for test, same thing like in windows installer, I have to stay very close with the mosue and keyboard to have good signal with the usb recivier. How about this?

amtseung

Distinguished

You're experiencing the one problem with any and all wireless input devices, which explains why no semi-competitive, let alone competitive gamer, looking for the best gaming experience s/he can achieve/afford, is going to run anything wireless.

You're attempting to run a wireless mouse, where the signal has to pass through at least the entire monitor. The amount of signal noise generated by a computer monitor, compounded by the (usually) weaker than average signal of the average wireless mouse, results in horrible mouse input lag and stuttering, since the tiny antenna just isn't receiving any signals from the mouse, shielded by the monitor it's mounted behind. Try unmount the box from the monitor, and keep a direct line of sight between the antenna on the mouse, and the antenna on the box. If you still have issues after that, let us know.

itarachiu

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2016

if I let the mini pc box down on the desk is working fine, even with prime95 running which stress my cpu. I already think to a solution, I will order a USBs hub and this will solve my problem I guess. I read on google before I post here the question, I never ask before I digg and I found some discussions which could be a mother board problem but in my case I think after a few days of tests is because of the vesa mount which block all the signals.

TRENDING THREADS