[SOLVED] Use DISM restore health to repair offline Windows 10 disk in enclosure from Windows 11 machine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_652

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2017
I pulled the Windows 10 disk from another computer because it was corrupted enough that I couldn't run any repair tools or reinstall Windows from within that system with the hard drive booted. I put it in an enclosure attached to my Windows 11 machine. I ran CHKDSK on the Windows 10 drive and it came through with no issues at all.

Then I ran SFC and it found corrupted files and fixed some but could not fix all of them. So, I am interested in running DISM from the Windows 11 machine that is booted from the Windows 10 disk in the enclosure. Is it possible? What command string should I use?

Last edited by a moderator:

David_652

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2017
" What are you even trying to do?! "

<<I am trying to fix the corrupted Windows 10 drive. I have used CHKDSK successfully and SFC with only marginal success.>>

" DISM will write an image of windows back to the drive, do you have such an image? Is it on the defective drive? "

<<I imagine there is one on the defective drive. I also have a Windows 10 ISO image on the Windows 11 machine. How do I use the image on the Windows 10 drive? Is there somewhere else I can get an image that will work?>>

" Did you actually boot the system from the disk in the the enclosure? Because that should not be possible "

<<No, I did not boot the system from the disk in the enclosure. I am repairing the disk in the enclosure from the Windows 11 system. I was able to run CHKDSK on the Windows 10 disk this way, and also SFC in this way.>>

So I need to find/use an image, and get the command string that will source the image and repair the disk. Makes sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.