[SOLVED] Use of MediaTek in smart speakers

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
I guess we all are acquainted with the name "MediaTek" as this is one of the largest chipset manufacturing brands in the world and particularly for the smart home products. I think the smartphone lovers must be acquainted with this name, but did you know that MediaTek smart chipsets are also a part of the the smartwatches and smart TVs, from budget TVs to Luxury TVs. But most interestingly, even most of the Bluetooth speakers from brands such as Amazon and JBL have MediaTek chipsets and they boast of powering over 1.3 billion devices a year. What's your view on this growing power of Taiwanese MediaTek and will it have an impact on other chipset brands?

Solution
MediaTek has come along way in the last few years, but even their best offering is two to three steps lower than other companies like Qualcomm.

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
MediaTek has come along way in the last few years, but even their best offering is two to three steps lower than other companies like Qualcomm.
I would have agreed with you on this hands down about a couple of years ago, but not just in the other gadgets, MediaTek is catching up quite nicely even in terms of the smartphones. And if you check the stats, you would find that MediaTek is a global leader in terms of smart TV chipsets and is also doing great in the 5G smartphone segment. As of now, Qualcomm is mostly a part of smartphones only and these are the only major chipset brands in the world.

To add to what @delaro said, most of the industry wants something that's "just good enough." They don't care how many Cinebench or GeekBench numbers it gets. They only care about "does it actually do the thing?"

MediaTek is a company that simply doesn't care about those numbers, by the look of things. And they have no real reason to.