[SOLVED] Use one modem to link 2 devices and another for internet

beefycactusyt

Prominent
Mar 25, 2019
Looking around a fair bit but probably using the wrong key words. I want to set up Virtual Desktop for the Oculus Quest and i can do this on my first modem (internet access). I bought a second modem to link the pc and Oculus Quest together as it takes a lot of local bandwidth (80-100mbps) and kills my first modem's speeds. Any way can i have both work on my pc at the same time so i can play vr and have internet access simultaneously? Want internet on WiFi card and vr through ethernet.

Tl:dr
Modem 1 has internet
Modem 2 used to keep first internet fast while playing wireless vr

Want my win10 pc to use internet on #1 and send vr signal on #2

Modems:
#1 Huawei B525 4g (stock carrier modem)
#2 ASUS DSL-AC55U (for vr desktop only)

Specs:
Ryzen 1600x stock
Asus Tuf B450
Tp-Link N300 pcie wifi (basic but only need for basic internet)
Corsair LPX DDR4 @2733 MHZ
RX580 PowerColor
Other specs irrelevant

Thank you very much! Lots of love from Ireland

Solution
Looking around a fair bit but probably using the wrong key words. I want to set up Virtual Desktop for the Oculus Quest and i can do this on my first modem (internet access). I bought a second modem to link the pc and Oculus Quest together as it takes a lot of local bandwidth (80-100mbps) and kills my first modem's speeds. Any way can i have both work on my pc at the same time so i can play vr and have internet access simultaneously? Want internet on WiFi card and vr through ethernet.

Modem 1 has internet

Modems:
#2 ASUS DSL-AC55U (for vr desktop only)...

kanewolf

Titan

Modem 1 has internet

Modems:
#2 ASUS DSL-AC55U (for vr desktop only)

Specs:
Ryzen 1600x stock
Asus Tuf B450
Tp-Link N300 pcie wifi (basic but only need for basic internet)
Corsair LPX DDR4 @2733 MHZ
RX580 PowerColor
Other specs irrelevant

Thank you very much! Lots of love from Ireland
What you would do is setup the Asus as an access point. Create a unique SSID on different 5Ghz channel from your B525. Then connect your ethernet cable from your PC to the Asus. You will have to create a static IP on your PC (NOT DHCP) for your wired connection. Don't set a gateway address on the wired connection. Then you connect the Oculus to the WIFI from the Asus.
But this is the hard way. If you connect to the B525 with a wired connection, then you don't need all this complexity. Your Oculus would connect via WIFI and you use a single wired connection for everything. The B525 has gigabit wired ports.

Solution

beefycactusyt

Prominent
Mar 25, 2019
Making it an access point caused the b525 to process all the vr data too and it couldn't process it fast enough cuz that modem is awful. This would be the same as connecting my pc directly to the b525, which is where the problem lies for everyone else in the house. I notice a poor video quality in vr when using the b525 but looks perfect in the Asus. Thanks though :)

beefycactusyt

Prominent
Mar 25, 2019
Making it an access point caused the b525 to process all the vr data too and it couldn't process it fast enough cuz that modem is awful. This would be the same as connecting my pc directly to the b525, which is where the problem lies for everyone else in the house. I notice a poor video quality in vr when using the b525 but looks perfect in the Asus. Thanks though :)
Disregard what i said... I didn't read your first thing properly. I'll try this first and mark as best answer of it works.

Latest posts