Question Used 1080ti Or New RX 5700 XT for this build?

ahmd3500

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Just as the title says

Case: MB530p
PSU: Bitfenix Whisper 750M
Mobo: Aorus x470 ULTRA Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU Cooler: ML 240
Ram: Trident Z Neo 32GB 2 x 16 3600Mhz RGB HDD: Seagate Barracudda 2TB 7200 RPM -
SSD: XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe M.2
What's more future proof, what's a better option and what's better for the prices, as I can get a 1080 ti Zotac amp! extreme Edition for around 480 usd and the RX 5700 XT Gigabyte Gaming OC is at 531$ USD, so which is a better choice overall?

I mostly video edit, and I'm expecting to game at 144/240hz if possible.

Also what do you think about the other hardware parts, anything to change?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Aside from the guaranteed native Ryzen 3000 CPU support, I'd say it's not worth the price difference. So as long as you have the ability to get a free/cheap BIOS update if needed to support your CPU, don't bother.
5700XT performs better in most games, and is newer technology than the 1080 Ti (but judging from the thread you posted immediately after this, you've probably already decided this).

Even video editing doesn't require 32GB ram to my knowledge, just get a 16GB kit. If you're dead set on spending a lot on RAM, spend more tighter timings, or just don't.

Do you really need 3TB worth of storage? If so, get a WD Black or HGST drive. Seagate drives don't tend to last long.

Watercooler is a waste of money unless you'll actually overclock. If you arent, remove it, and replace the motherboard with a B450 Tomohawk MAX.

Reactions: ahmd3500

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
5700XT performs better in most games, and is newer technology than the 1080 Ti
Newer, yes.
Performs better? Where did you get that from?

What's more future proof, what's a better option and what's better for the prices, as I can get a 1080 ti Zotac amp! extreme Edition for around 480 usd and the RX 5700 XT Gigabyte Gaming OC is at 531$ USD, so which is a better choice overall?
-Future proof isn't a thing. There's always something new around the corner every year. Get what you want for what you want to do.
-Price-wise, the 1080Ti would be my pick.
-The drivers for the 1080Ti are already mature. It's going to take a little longer for AMD to iron out the rest of the bugs with Navi.

Jan 3, 2020
5700XT performs better in most games, and is newer technology than the 1080 Ti (but judging from the thread you posted immediately after this, you've probably already decided this).

Even video editing doesn't require 32GB ram to my knowledge, just get a 16GB kit. If you're dead set on spending a lot on RAM, spend more tighter timings, or just don't.

Do you really need 3TB worth of storage? If so, get a WD Black or HGST drive. Seagate drives don't tend to last long.

Watercooler is a waste of money unless you'll actually overclock. If you arent, remove it, and replace the motherboard with a B450 Tomohawk MAX.

Now what you said here is very wrong
First off the if the 1080ti is cheaper just take it, in all honesty it may be used but it still performs better link:https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/3918vs4045
And second of all 16GB of RAM is the minimum for video editing.
Now sir you can keep the 32GB of RAM
And if your gonna save yourself the hassle I suggest getting an X570 motherboard instead of a b450 or a X470 so you don’t need to update the BIOS anymore if your going through the ryzen 3rd gen

Newer, yes.

-Future proof isn't a thing. There's always something new around the corner every year. Get what you want for what you want to do.
-The drivers for the 1080Ti are already mature. It's going to take a little longer for AMD to iron out the rest of the bugs with Navi.
First off the if the 1080ti is cheaper just take it, in all honesty it may be used but it still performs better link:https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/3918vs4045
And if your gonna save yourself the hassle I suggest getting an X570 motherboard instead of a b450 or a X470 so you don’t need to update the BIOS anymore if your going through the ryzen 3rd gen
My bad.

ahmd3500

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I didn't buy either of them yet, but regarding what other people said, I'm still confused
Alright, so 16gb is the sweet spot aye?

Well tbh I do use a lot of storage but I doubt I've ever used 2tb or will do, but yeah I've already bought the ssd sadly and the hard drive is there from my last build so I won't buy a new one I guess, but i've only been hearing greet stuff about seagate HDDS, this is the first time I hear that they do not last?

Alright will consider this ty!

Newer, yes.

So if I get this card, will it still last good 4-5 years without it's fans dying on me or anything?
Keep in mind it won't have any warranty so, It'll be some risk I think?
Also, does it matter a lot AMD vs Nvidia when it comes to video editing regarding GPUS?
cuz I know AMD totally wrecks intel but editing wise, what's more efficient ?

I believe am buying the board and the build from retailers anyways so bios updates will not be an issue at all, do I really need a pcie 4.0, will it make a huge difference, or should I invest the bonus money that I was spending on a mediocre x570 board to get a better mid tier or high end x470 board?

Thanks for your replies again <3]

I didn't buy either of them yet, but regarding what other people said, I'm still confused

Well tbh I do use a lot of storage but I doubt I've ever used 2tb or will do, but yeah I've already bought the ssd sadly and the hard drive is there from my last build so I won't buy a new one I guess, but i've only been hearing greet stuff about seagate HDDS, this is the first time I hear that they do not last?

So if I get this card, will it still last good 4-5 years without it's fans dying on me or anything?
Also, does it matter a lot AMD vs Nvidia when it comes to video editing regarding GPUS?

I believe am buying the board and the build from retailers anyways so bios updates will not be an issue at all, do I really need a pcie 4.0, will it make a huge difference, or should I invest the bonus money that I was spending on a mediocre x570 board to get a better mid tier or high end x470 board?

Igore what I said about the 5700XT being better. I was wrong.

Yes, for the most part 16GB ram is the "sweet spot"

Seagate lately has been making HDDs that begin to fail quite quickly (within a couple years or so). I would steer clear. WD Black or HGST drives would last longer.
Also, if you've already got the hdd, just keep it. Make sure to keep regular backups though.

You probably don't need pcie 4.0. As long as you have a way to flash bios, a B450 or X470 board will do. If you want to overclock, get a low end X570 board (Gigabyte Aorus Elite is my suggestion) as they tend to have much better VRMs. Otherwise, I highly suggest removing the water cooler and replacing the board with a B450 board (MSI Tomohawk is my suggestion here).

ahmd3500

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
So I've received tons of help in my last post and thank you guys, now to ask the real question, should I get it now or wait?

Should I build it now, or wait for new ryzen gens perhaps for prices to drop or to get a better cpu with the same price?

Case: MB530p
PSU: Bitfenix Whisper 750M
Mobo: Aorus x470 ULTRA Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Gigabyte Gaming OC RX 5700 XT 8GB
CPU Cooler: ML 240
Ram: Trident Z Neo 32GB 2 x 16 3600Mhz RGB HDD: Seagate Barracudda 2TB 7200 RPM -
SSD: XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe M.2

Will cost me around 1900 USD from where I live (Egypt atm)

I've decided to get RX 5700 XT instead of a used 1080 ti for multiple reasons as well,

Some people said I should change mobo to b450 Tomahawk max, and perhaps get rid of the water cooler, if so what should I exchange it for?
Thanks a lot \ o /

ahmd3500

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Yeah, if the retailer offers free BIOS updates to enble support for your chosen 3000 series CPU, that's fine.

What's the price comparison on the two boards in Egypt?
Almost double price or some <Mod Edit> lol
Edit: Just checked, not completely double but meh, let's say around 80-90usd-ish?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No gpu will last you that long without replacing or requiring some kind of maintenance(cleaning or replacing the thermal paste). That's wishful thinking.
1080Ti is approaching 3 years old - but there haven't been any real improvements since its launch, and it's still stronger than RX 5700XT.

Some companies will actually honor warranties from 2nd hand - ask the seller for a copy or screenshot of the purchase info.

Actually, I believe it does.
Aside from AMD being the value leader currently, their driver prowess has always been on the slow side - and while everyone's experience will vary, most will likely see a smoother experience with Nvidia's driver packages/patches.
You can kind of compare AMD's driver progress to wine or whiskey; takes a little longer than Team Green if they were to launch new products at the same time.

IMO, the best cpu + gpu combo currently is AMD + Nvidia.

Reactions: extreme_noob

ahmd3500

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
No gpu will last you that long without replacing or requiring some kind of maintenance(cleaning or replacing the thermal paste). That's wishful thinking.
1080Ti is approaching 3 years old - but there haven't been any real improvements since its launch, and it's still stronger than RX 5700XT.

Some companies will actually honor warranties from 2nd hand - ask the seller for a copy or screenshot of the purchase info.

Actually, I believe it does.
Aside from AMD being the value leader currently, their driver prowess has always been on the slow side - and while everyone's experience will vary, most will likely see a smoother experience with Nvidia's driver packages/patches.
You can kind of compare AMD's driver progress to wine or whiskey; takes a little longer than Team Green if they were to launch new products at the same time.

IMO, the best cpu + gpu combo currently is AMD + Nvidia.

Thanks a ton for this help, so you suggest a 1080 ti instead of RX 5700 XT ?

Reactions: extreme_noob
Jan 3, 2020

If bios updates are not an issue then go ahead and buy the X470 also i feel that pcie4 is only optional but not really needed

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
Unless you know the person selling, i would never buy an used pc component(i dont know your economic situation, that could be a big factor) but the 1080 Ti is the best gpu right now, only the 2080 Ti is way better

Unless you know the person selling, i would never buy an used pc component(i dont know your economic situation, that could be a big factor) but the 1080 Ti is the best gpu right now, only the 2080 Ti is way better
Buying a used component is up to you, but no, the 2080 Ti is not the only card better than a 1080 Ti. The 2080 is on par with it, and may do better in some games, and the 2080 Super is also about 10% better.

The 1080 Ti is, though, a great price to performance card, as all of the cards mentioned have prices which range 200-700 dollars higher than its regular used price

Mar 8, 2020
if your gonna save yourself the hassle I suggest getting an X570 motherboard instead of a b450 or a X470 so you don’t need to update the BIOS anymore if your going through the ryzen 7th gen
Ryzen 7 3700X (PBO 300, 230, 230, x4)
Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
2x8GB Patriot Viper Steel 4400Mhz 19-19-19-39 XMP (OC'd to 3733Mhz 14-15-15-27 1.47V)
EVGA RTX 2070 XC Gaming (OC'd +131Mhz Core, +915Mhz Memory)
500GB Samsung 970 EVO
500GB Samsung 860 EVO
EVGA G3 650W
NZXT S340 Elite
Read the reviews here