[SOLVED] Used Alcohol with moisturizer to clean cpu, should I be worried?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
HELP! Used Isop Alcohol with MOISTURIZER to clean Ryzen CPU. Do I need to redo and how much did I screw up

Hello, I foolishly bought a 70 % Isop Alcohol with MOISTURIZER, and cleaned CPU thermal paste, PCB of the CPU, some parts of the motherboard, RAM golden contact pins, and of course the heatspreader of the CPU to clean thermal paste.

It was only after I did everything did I realize the "with moisturizer" label on the alcohol.

I tested the alcohol on a wooden floor and it didn't evaporate quickly and it even left white residue off the stain.

This is a new build that I did on my old case so I may have screwed up new parts.

I've ran the PC for 30 minutes or so only because I don't have RAM right now borrowed one from a friend to see how well the build works. It did work well with
Normal temps but not enough time to observe fault or physical damage.

Am I worrying too much? Shouldn't the heat from the computer evaporate any moisturizer left? And should I clean the CPU again with actual 70% IPA alcohol with no moisturizer? And finally, will the moisturizer cause any problems in the long run and will it degrade any components or PCB?

Thank you for any answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Have you noticed any residue left on the IHS? Or PCB? Or any corrosion?

none. I believe “residue” is unavoidable though, there will always be something left behind after cleaning your components. Unless you are using surgical grade alcohol and are in a clean room.

ive used the same alcohol you used to clean off the flux after the R9 380 repair. No problems…

but, theres absolutely nothing wrong with being sure. Do what you think is best for your components, and for peace of mind.

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
For the overheating, you can try setting all your fans to 100% and see if that helps. Most computer fan controls are designed for AC home/office environments so I've found that the fans won't ramp up properly for systems in an otherwise 'sauna' as you called it, lol. I've actually had one system die when the fan didn't ramp up, so now I always floor my high heat exposed systems and it keeps them cool.

If setting all the fans to 100% doesn't help, you might have more than just scratching from those capacitors and they may be preventing the cooler from mounting properly and I would change to another cooler.

That's a bit loud for me. I've ran my PC without the glass panel and it dropped by 5 degrees so arranging my airflow is my next move. If that doesn't help I'm reseating my cooler with Arctic MX-4 or kryonaut. And see from there if it helps. If it doesn't time to open another thread. Prime 95 under load ramps my CPU to 88-90 degrees in the first 10 seconds. Using HWINFO to monitor

That's a bit loud for me. I've ran my PC without the glass panel and it dropped by 5 degrees so arranging my airflow is my next move. If that doesn't help I'm reseating my cooler with Arctic MX-4 or kryonaut. And see from there if it helps. If it doesn't time to open another thread. Prime 95 under load ramps my CPU to 88-90 degrees in the first 10 seconds. Using HWINFO to monitor
You need better cooling then with better fans. Cool, cheap, quiet--pick two.

Keep in mind cooking your processor and system to the point it dies will also make the room quiet--quiet because your system will be dead.

Reactions: jelardz2000