[SOLVED] Used Alcohol with moisturizer to clean cpu, should I be worried?

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
HELP! Used Isop Alcohol with MOISTURIZER to clean Ryzen CPU. Do I need to redo and how much did I screw up

Hello, I foolishly bought a 70 % Isop Alcohol with MOISTURIZER, and cleaned CPU thermal paste, PCB of the CPU, some parts of the motherboard, RAM golden contact pins, and of course the heatspreader of the CPU to clean thermal paste.

It was only after I did everything did I realize the "with moisturizer" label on the alcohol.

I tested the alcohol on a wooden floor and it didn't evaporate quickly and it even left white residue off the stain.

This is a new build that I did on my old case so I may have screwed up new parts.

I've ran the PC for 30 minutes or so only because I don't have RAM right now borrowed one from a friend to see how well the build works. It did work well with
Normal temps but not enough time to observe fault or physical damage.

Am I worrying too much? Shouldn't the heat from the computer evaporate any moisturizer left? And should I clean the CPU again with actual 70% IPA alcohol with no moisturizer? And finally, will the moisturizer cause any problems in the long run and will it degrade any components or PCB?

Thank you for any answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Have you noticed any residue left on the IHS? Or PCB? Or any corrosion?

none. I believe “residue” is unavoidable though, there will always be something left behind after cleaning your components. Unless you are using surgical grade alcohol and are in a clean room.

ive used the same alcohol you used to clean off the flux after the R9 380 repair. No problems…

but, theres absolutely nothing wrong with being sure. Do what you think is best for your components, and for peace of mind.

Lutfij

Titan
You're just compounding problems after problems, hmmm? You shouldn't have used the isopropyl alcohol to begin with, compounding that, you shouldn't have reassembled it, compounding that, you shouldn't have fired the system at all prior to getting all of the prior "moisturizer" off. You should shut down the system, disassemble the parts that you used with the solvent that had moisturizer in it, then wipe it all down with proper rubbing alcohol that does not contain moisturizer in it.

should I clean the CPU again with actual 70% IPA alcohol with no moisturizer?
Yes

because I don't have RAM right now
The system should've been in it's box, then, until you sourced the right stuff.

Reactions: jelardz2000

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
You're just compounding problems after problems, hmmm? You shouldn't have used the isopropyl alcohol to begin with, compounding that, you shouldn't have reassembled it, compounding that, you shouldn't have fired the system at all prior to getting all of the prior "moisturizer" off. You should shut down the system, disassemble the parts that you used with the solvent that had moisturizer in it, then wipe it all down with proper rubbing alcohol that does not contain moisturizer in it.

should I clean the CPU again with actual 70% IPA alcohol with no moisturizer?
Yes

because I don't have RAM right now
The system should've been in it's box, then, until you sourced the right stuff.

I had ram on hand but it turned out defective at first testing so that's my bad. What damage has it most likely done by now?

I had ram on hand but it turned out defective at first testing so that's my bad. What damage has it most likely done by now?
Most likely none.

The moisturizer in an alcohol hand sanitizer is most likely something like glycerin which is pretty benign by itself. It's biggest issue is it attracts moisture over extended time period. Just remove the heatsink and clean it with some 70% or higher IPA, reapply a quality thermal paste and you'll be fine.

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
Most likely none.

The moisturizer in an alcohol hand sanitizer is most likely something like glycerin which is pretty benign by itself. It's biggest issue is it attracts moisture over extended time period. Just remove the heatsink and clean it with some 70% or higher IPA, reapply a quality thermal paste and you'll be fine.

Thanks, should I also clean the bottom part of the CPU around the pins? Because I remember putting alcohol there to clean off any thermal paste. and are there any more risks if i don't clean it. Because I might mess something up more

Thanks, should I also clean the bottom part of the CPU around the pins? Because I remember putting alcohol there to clean off any thermal paste. and are there any more risks if i don't clean it. Because I might mess something up more
Normally I'd say no but without knowing the exact moisturizer it might be a good idea. But then you also have to balance the possibility of damaging or bending the pins against the possibility of residual moisturizer causing issues.

I would clean it with a soft bristle brush moistened in 70% IPA. But you might consider it a toss-up if you're not confident about being careful or feel uncomfortable about doing it. As a point of reference, you do not have to worry about cleaning minor contamination of the pins with thermal compound. It's really benign and won't cause issues. Only if it's grossly excessive, to the point it might interfere with the sockets, is it necessary to risk bending the delicate pins by cleaning.

Last edited:

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
Normally I'd say no but without knowing the exact moisturizer it might be a good idea. But then you also have to balance the possibility of damaging or bending the pins against the possibility of residual moisturizer causing issues.

I would clean it with a soft bristle brush moistened in 70% IPA. But you might consider it a toss-up if you're not confident about being careful or feel uncomfortable about doing it. As a point of reference, you do not have to worry about cleaning minor contamination of the pins with thermal compound. It's really benign and won't cause issues. Only if it's grossly excessive, to the point it might interfere with the sockets, is it necessary to risk bending the delicate pins by cleaning.

the label says it's hypoallergenic moisturizer, is that bad? And if your are familiar with Greencross it is the branding of the alcohol. I've used the alcohol on my dead ram and it didn't seem like it left any residue and smells like pc again.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I think most rubbing alcohol you could buy leave some sort of residue. Thats why with a lot rubbing alcohols you get a sticky feeling in your hand, cause most of them add a moisturizer of sorts. Else your hands would be very dry.

ever try rubbing some electric contact cleaner on your hand? Or worse some lacquer thinner? You’ll notice your hands would get very dry afterwards. Even rubbing something like moonshine or even san mig gin, would make your hands very dry…

i personally wouldn’t worry too much.

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
I think most rubbing alcohol you could buy leave some sort of residue. Thats why with a lot rubbing alcohols you get a sticky feeling in your hand, cause most of them add a moisturizer of sorts. Else your hands would be very dry.

ever try rubbing some electric contact cleaner on your hand? Or worse some lacquer thinner? You’ll notice your hands would get very dry afterwards. Even rubbing something like moonshine or even san mig gin, would make your hands very dry…

Yes but im really just paranoid because it's not every day you get to upgrade to a decent CPU. I will get hold of 90 percent or more IPA alcohol the next time I clean or clean paste

HELP! Used Isop Alcohol with MOISTURIZER to clean Ryzen CPU. Do I need to redo and how much did I screw up

Hello, I foolishly bought a 70 % Isop Alcohol with MOISTURIZER, and cleaned CPU thermal paste, PCB of the CPU, some parts of the motherboard, RAM golden contact pins, and of course the heatspreader of the CPU to clean thermal paste.

It was only after I did everything did I realize the "with moisturizer" label on the alcohol.

I tested the alcohol on a wooden floor and it didn't evaporate quickly and it even left white residue off the stain.

This is a new build that I did on my old case so I may have screwed up new parts.

I've ran the PC for 30 minutes or so only because I don't have RAM right now borrowed one from a friend to see how well the build works. It did work well with

Am I worrying too much? Shouldn't the heat from the computer evaporate any moisturizer left? And should I clean the CPU again with actual 70% IPA alcohol with no moisturizer? And finally, will the moisturizer cause any problems in the long run and will it degrade any components or PCB?

Thank you for any answer
I think what you want is 90% iso it's sometimes called surgical fluid.
It does not leave a residue behind.
Your local drug store should have some.

Since the effects of what you applied are unknown go back with the 90% and clean it off.

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
I think what you want is 90% iso it's sometimes called surgical fluid.
It does not leave a residue behind.
Your local drug store should have some.

Since the effects of what you applied are unknown go back with the 90% and clean it off.

If I leave the alcohol what might be the dangers of it? And will it affect lifespan of a cpu

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021

What type of alcohol are you getting that leaves residues? The one OP's buying but without the "moisturizer" tag?

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
What type of alcohol are you getting that leaves residues? The one OP's buying but without the "moisturizer" tag?

ethyl alcohol has more of a "drying" effect than isopropyl alcohol. so its more likely to contain some sort of moisturizer, or "residue". but who knows if isopropyl truly wont leave any residue...

ive used the same alcohol OP used to clean the ihs of my 3600, die of rtx 2060, r9 380, r9 390, an old q6600... no difference at all in cooling...

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
ethyl alcohol has more of a "drying" effect than isopropyl alcohol. so its more likely to contain some sort of moisturizer, or "residue". but who knows if isopropyl truly wont leave any residue...

ive used the same alcohol OP used to clean the ihs of my 3600, die of rtx 2060, r9 380, r9 390, an old q6600... no difference at all in cooling...
You're not supposed to use ethyl alcohol for this, unless it's your only choice and there's no way to get isopropyl.

Thank you for any answer

Honestly in most cases thermal paste is removable simply with soft paper towel. Except some exceptionally ancient/bad sticky ones. Isopropyl and regular alcohol only allow to clean remains of old paste faster. Moisturizer is different story - when alcohol part evaporates, it left fatty moisturizer residue which make conductivity between CPU surface and cooler a little worse. In your case I would remove your contraption together with paste with regular isopropyl or ethyl alcohol. And then apply thermal paste again.