Question Used core parking manager v3 and clicked max performance and i have a problem

Aug 2, 2019
Now my frames in destiny dropped to the 20s and my cpu only goes up to 1.7 ghz for some reason can someone please help. i7 2600 non k.

jackman9061

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I use a core parking program myself, it has an option to disable it on start up, so all you have to do is either go into task manager and disable it in start up, or go in the program itself and disable it from launching upon starting up your PC, then restart your PC and the program should stop running.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just an FYI.

Core parking puts specific cores to sleep, using the c-states settings, namely C6. This is an eco, power saving setting. It has 1 benefit. In corporate settings where you are dealing with 100+ pc's running at any given time the extra few watts adds up on the electric bill. For a single home user, it'll make no difference. The cpu will only use whatever it needs, if that's 30w or 95w from the psu. It did have some advantage years ago when a pc used far more 3.3v and 5v+, but on new systems with more effective and efficient rails, 80+ standards, core parking has become defunct and really a non issue. All it does is kill thread usage and consequently fps.

It's seriously doing nothing but harm to your gaming experience and not helping the pc at all.

Aug 2, 2019
I restarted and it fixed i just clicked the max performance options to try and boost my fps. My fps is low in destiny on one planet. It wont use max cpu usage and even if i change to 720p i get the same fps.

Aug 2, 2019
I restarted and it fixed i just clicked the max performance options to try and boost my fps. My fps is low in destiny on one planet. It wont use max cpu usage and even if i change to 720p i get the same fps.
To clarify i was just trying to make my cpu run at 90% usage but clicked max performance and it done that. It is fixed now but for some reason the setting where you can make your cpu run at whatever usage you want is greyed out.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Usage is misleading. Usage that you see in task manager is an average of all core activity. It's not a per core setting.

Take CSGO for instance. That's a 2 thread game, there's no provisions in the game code for use of a 3rd thread. Normally you'd expect a cpu to be able to run 100% usage per core if needed, and there's other background tasks in windows, AV, Cortana, indexing, net searches etc going on. So on a quad core cpu you'd see 100 + 100 + 30 + 30 for core usage, which = 260, /4 = @ 62% usage. And it pretty much won't get higher than that unless something else is running high % on the other cores. With your attempts to cut it down to 90%, you regulate those 2 cores to 90% max, but that doesn't affect the unused cores. 90 + 90 + 30 + 30 = 240 /4 = 60% usage. No real difference overall, just 2%, but a very large difference in fps as you lost 10% on each core that's active in game.

If playing a game like gta:v that can and will use upto 100% on all available cores, that game has provisions for core usage, but cutting back to 90% you lose 10% per core, not 10% whole. You'll see it as 90% usage, but in reality that's the average of 4 cores, each running at 90%, which is a huge loss in fps as any backlog created is now waiting even longer since the usage is capped.
-
Fps is set by the cpu. It pre-renders the frames and sends that info to the gpu which finish renders the frames according to detail settings and resolution.

If your cpu can only send 30fps, then that's it, everything. Changing resolution or details won't make that 30fps go up, it can't. If the cpu can send 100fps, that's what the gpu gets, if resolution and details is too high, fps output from the gpu drops, but doesn't affect how much it's receiving.

Changing resolution to 720p and seeing no change in fps means the cpu has reached its fps limit, and the gpu still has room for more. And then you do something dumb by trying to damper core usage at 90%, further dropping cpu ability to process frames?

Under normal settings a cpu always works at 100% ability, always. Max speeds, max throughput, max frames, max IPC. Usage is the amount of resources required by that cpu to get that 100%, it's not a measure of its ability.

By core parking, cutting usage etc you hinder the amount of resources available to the cpu, it'd be like saying instead of the cpu processing 100 frames, it's now capped at 90 frames ability.

And you wonder why you get lousy fps in a very cpu demanding game? Get rid of that core park crap, set the cpu free to work as it should, then figure out why you get low fps, considering that maybe your cpu isn't that strong or maybe it's bad optimized game etc

Aug 2, 2019
Usage is misleading. Usage that you see in task manager is an average of all core activity. It's not a per core setting.

Take CSGO for instance. That's a 2 thread game, there's no provisions in the game code for use of a 3rd thread. Normally you'd expect a cpu to be able to run 100% usage per core if needed, and there's other background tasks in windows, AV, Cortana, indexing, net searches etc going on. So on a quad core cpu you'd see 100 + 100 + 30 + 30 for core usage, which = 260, /4 = @ 62% usage. And it pretty much won't get higher than that unless something else is running high % on the other cores. With your attempts to cut it down to 90%, you regulate those 2 cores to 90% max, but that doesn't affect the unused cores. 90 + 90 + 30 + 30 = 240 /4 = 60% usage. No real difference overall, just 2%, but a very large difference in fps as you lost 10% on each core that's active in game.

If playing a game like gta:v that can and will use upto 100% on all available cores, that game has provisions for core usage, but cutting back to 90% you lose 10% per core, not 10% whole. You'll see it as 90% usage, but in reality that's the average of 4 cores, each running at 90%, which is a huge loss in fps as any backlog created is now waiting even longer since the usage is capped.
-
Fps is set by the cpu. It pre-renders the frames and sends that info to the gpu which finish renders the frames according to detail settings and resolution.

If your cpu can only send 30fps, then that's it, everything. Changing resolution or details won't make that 30fps go up, it can't. If the cpu can send 100fps, that's what the gpu gets, if resolution and details is too high, fps output from the gpu drops, but doesn't affect how much it's receiving.

Changing resolution to 720p and seeing no change in fps means the cpu has reached its fps limit, and the gpu still has room for more. And then you do something dumb by trying to damper core usage at 90%, further dropping cpu ability to process frames?

Under normal settings a cpu always works at 100% ability, always. Max speeds, max throughput, max frames, max IPC. Usage is the amount of resources required by that cpu to get that 100%, it's not a measure of its ability.

By core parking, cutting usage etc you hinder the amount of resources available to the cpu, it'd be like saying instead of the cpu processing 100 frames, it's now capped at 90 frames ability.

And you wonder why you get lousy fps in a very cpu demanding game? Get rid of that core park crap, set the cpu free to work as it should, then figure out why you get low fps, considering that maybe your cpu isn't that strong or maybe it's bad optimized game etc
I will probably just wait on upgrading for a while because i would have to get a new mobo and ram.