Question User folder missing after reconfiguring RAID ?

Jul 16, 2022
Hi. I'm new here and I have quite a mess that I'm hoping someone can help with. I'll try to include only the vital history here...

My system was custom built, but the builder hasn't been working on personal systems for a while. The system includes three drives: one SSD for boot and programs, and two HDDs in RAID1 to store data (to protect against hardware failure, not to serve as backup). I recently replaced the CMOS battery, not realizing that this would break my RAID configuration. So as you probably already know, once I started my computer back up after installing the new battery, I had two duplicate data drives.

Everything worked fine, but I wanted my RAID configuration back. I ensured I had a full back up of my system and then used the MB's instructions to go into the BIOS and set up the drives in RAID1 again. When the boot screen shows, I can see that my RAID array shows normally and my boot/programs drive is fine, but now I can't log into my computer. I get an error that says "The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded." I've checked the boot priority, and it is pointing to the correct disk (I also ensured that I included the correct drives in the RAID array).

I can get in, in safe mode, but it just gives me a black screen. BUT I can pull up the Task Manager and go to "start to a new task" to pull up files and access system management tools. Here, I'm able to look at the Device Manager and see my RAID array, but on the Disk Management it tells me "You must initialize the disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it," and when I go to "my computer" I can't see the data drive. I am able to see my user name under in the Local User section, but I'm not sure if that means anything. I've also checked the boot disk for a user folder, and it's nowhere to be found. I'm sure that's expected if data was writing to the previously set up RAID array.

Here's a quick recap:
  • Attempting to start normally gives me the error: "The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded"
  • I can start in safe mode, but can only access files and admin tools through Task Manager.
  • There is no user folder on the boot drive, and I can't see what's on the RAID drives (I assume they're blank).
  • The boot screen shows that my RAID array is set up and normal and I can see it in Device Manager, but...
  • It doesn't show in My Computer, and Disk Management is telling me it needs to be initialized.
Any idea what my next steps should be? Do I need to initialize the RAID array? And if I do, how do I get my user directory back on there and functioning properly?

Here is further information as requested.

System Details:
View: https://imgur.com/Lz24Nki

Disk Management window:
View: https://imgur.com/0bZzail

Information about SSD drive (boot and programs):
View: https://imgur.com/8nz1pSv

Information about HDD drives
These are two identical drives in RAID - HGST Deskstar NAS. Before reconfiguring RAID, capacity was around or under 50%
View: https://imgur.com/t1x8wJp

I do have a backup of the system, and also a secondary backup of my photo files, which is the most important thing on my computer at this point. I appreciate your posing the question about whether or not I could do without RAID. I'd really like to keep it since I had this machine specifically built to support it. It has run flawlessly for the 6 years leading up to the battery being replaced.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer help!
Kelley

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Open the Disk Management window and expand so that all information is visible.

Take a screen shot and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Are you willing to do without a RAID configuration ? Problematic overall and little, if anything, to gained by using RAID.

RAID may not be necessary and the immediate goal should be to first ensure that the data is protected and recoverable.

Jul 16, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Open the Disk Management window and expand so that all information is visible.

Take a screen shot and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Are you willing to do without a RAID configuration ? Problematic overall and little, if anything, to gained by using RAID.

RAID may not be necessary and the immediate goal should be to first ensure that the data is protected and recoverable.

Thank you so much for replying. I've updated my original post with the information requested. I think I provided everything, but let me know if I missed anything.

Jul 16, 2022
Do you have a known good backup of any personal data that was in the RAID 1?

Removing whatever drives are in the RAID 1, does the system boot up properly?

I did make a backup on a brand new external hard drive before configuring RAID. I think it was after they split when I replaced the battery, but all data is there. And I copied the most important files to another external hard drive.
What do you mean by removing whatever drives are in RAID1? Do you mean physically removing them, or some other way? I can try this afternoon (about to be unavailable for a bit) if you let me know.

USAFRet

Titan
I did make a backup on a brand new external hard drive before configuring RAID. I think it was after they split when I replaced the battery, but all data is there. And I copied the most important files to another external hard drive.
What do you mean by removing whatever drives are in RAID1? Do you mean physically removing them, or some other way? I can try this afternoon (about to be unavailable for a bit) if you let me know.
Physical disconnection.
You don't have to take them 'out', just disconnect.

From what you're saying, it seems like this was set up to have the whole /User/ space off on the RAID 1?
If so, multiple bad moves.

Jul 16, 2022
Physical disconnection.
You don't have to take them 'out', just disconnect.

From what you're saying, it seems like this was set up to have the whole /User/ space off on the RAID 1?
If so, multiple bad moves.

I disconnected the drives and didn’t see any change (other than missing drive, of course).
I took a look at my backup and it does have the users folder. I also did a little reading about configuring windows with the users folder on a different drive, and while some recommend steering clear of that solution, others say it's okay as long as certain folder remain on the C: drive for updates and such. It looks like mine is set up that way (see below).

View: https://imgur.com/Mwv0aY4

So at this point, does it make most sense to initialize the data drives and attempt to restore the backup as it was?

USAFRet

Titan
Personally, I wouldn't have the entire /Users/ folder on a different drive.
Some things will break.

Even relocating the Libraries is not really needed these days.
You can save data anywhere, and most applications will save to that same place next time.