• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Using a 1 Gigabyte Memory Card!

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1,373
0
19,280
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In a previous thread regarding using USB memory sticks with "Gran Turismo
4", I threw out the question if anyone had tried to use a CF memory card
along with USB CF read/write adapter in place of a USB memory stick/pen.
Scott C replied that he had and it did, in fact, work.

Inspired by his feedback, I searched for my USB CF memory adapter to see if
it would also work for me. I finally found the adapter buried in the
bottom of a laptop bag.

It WORKS!

Not only does it work with "Gran Turismo 4", but it also works with the
media player in "Action Replay Max". AR Max sees it perfectly fine in the
"Memory Manager" and "Media Player". AR Max sees it just as if it were a
USB memory stick/pen. The correct size of the CF memory card is reported.
I am able to browse the files with no problem. I have tested running MP3's,
JPG's, and Genesis ROMS -- all of which work perfectly fine. In fact,
"Sonic3" is running right now through emulation. I haven't yet tested it
with movie files, but expect them to work just as well.

This is cool. I had originally purchased this 1GB CF card for a digital
camera, but hardly ever use it. Also have a 512MB CF Card here, which also
is working great with AR Max. This 1GB CF Card has just found a new home!

I'm using the following:

CF Card Read/Writer is just a cheap adapter sold by "Edge Digital" Bought
it about a year ago for less than $10 so I could transfer pictures from
digital camera to laptop without having to hook up the camera. Its a little
squirrely from a year's worth of being dragged around in a laptop bag.
Never bothered getting another one since I didn't use it all that much.
I'll definetly be picking up a new adapter now though. (Connector on it has
become a little loose.)

Memory cards are just your standard CF memory cards. The 1GB card is by
Kingston, while the 512MB card is a Sandisk. Both are working.

The PS2 software is the current release of "Action Replay Max". Don't know
if there are various "versions" of it or not. I purchased the "Action
Replay Max" that comes with a 16MB "Max Memory" PS2 card. (Comes in the
newer silver "tin can" packaging.)

For "burning" the "disc" onto the CF memory card, I simply just used "Max
Media Creator, V1.3". AR Max ships with V1.0, but V1.3 can be downloaded
from the website. I "think" you will need V1.3, as V1.0 doesn't support
"burning to a USB memory pen". Not sure as I didn't install V1.0 that came
with it, but rather just downloaded the most current version from their
website. "Max Media Creator" sees the CF memory card as a "USB memory pen".
Its happy with it and could care less that its actually CF.

As for GT4, pics get dumped into it with no problems. Should also work fine
as a "mass storage device" for game saves as well. Can't access it from
games, or even the PS2's main menu, obviously -- but can get to it easily
after booting up AR's "Memory Manager".

Yep, this will be a fun new toy. All sorts of things are possible. There
are other emulators that can be put on it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if
an entire OS (i.e., Linux) could be put on it.

Cheers,
-Eric
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <pt4ae.17804$Qu2.92@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
"Eric" <nospam@nospam.not> wrote:

> Inspired by his feedback, I searched for my USB CF memory adapter to see if
> it would also work for me. I finally found the adapter buried in the
> bottom of a laptop bag.
>
> It WORKS!

You know, I bet this means if you have the right cable, you could plug
any USB disk - such as an iPod - into the PSP and have it recognized.

Imagine a 60Gig iPod in your pocket loaded to the gills with high
quality movies, with a little cable that goes the PSP for viewing!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Mike O'Connor wrote:
> In article <pt4ae.17804$Qu2.92@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
> "Eric" <nospam@nospam.not> wrote:
>
> > Inspired by his feedback, I searched for my USB CF memory adapter
to see if
> > it would also work for me. I finally found the adapter buried in
the
> > bottom of a laptop bag.
> >
> > It WORKS!
>
> You know, I bet this means if you have the right cable, you could
plug
> any USB disk - such as an iPod - into the PSP and have it recognized.
>
> Imagine a 60Gig iPod in your pocket loaded to the gills with high
> quality movies, with a little cable that goes the PSP for viewing!

He is talking about using a Compact Flash (CF) card in a USB adapter
for the PS2. The PS2 will pretty much work with any memory card in a
USB adapter as long as the game or some utility like Action Remax
recognizes the USB port. The story for the PSP is different. It is an
enticing idea to be able to use the USB port on the PSP for the same
types of things but the firmware in the PSP is deliberately limited to
prevent this type of USB use. It will take a firmware update to open up
the USB on the PS2 for other things besides just looking like a
removable drive to a PC. The word is that this is coming eventually.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <1114198055.776960.248110@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Imagine a 60Gig iPod in your pocket loaded to the gills with high
> > quality movies, with a little cable that goes the PSP for viewing!
>
> He is talking about using a Compact Flash (CF) card in a USB adapter
> for the PS2. The PS2 will pretty much work with any memory card in a
> USB adapter as long as the game or some utility like Action Remax
> recognizes the USB port. The story for the PSP is different. It is an
> enticing idea to be able to use the USB port on the PSP for the same
> types of things but the firmware in the PSP is deliberately limited to
> prevent this type of USB use. It will take a firmware update to open up
> the USB on the PS2 for other things besides just looking like a
> removable drive to a PC. The word is that this is coming eventually.

Darn, though I had something cool going. It's crystal clear something is
going to hook to that USB connector other than a cable, those threaded
holes are there... I can think of lots of stuff, keyboard, GPS, hard
disk..
 

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1,373
0
19,280
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Mike O'Connor" <mike@leptonicsystems.com> wrote in message
news:mike-57F82A.17595722042005@optonline.svc.highwinds-media.com...
> In article <1114198055.776960.248110@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Imagine a 60Gig iPod in your pocket loaded to the gills with high
> > > quality movies, with a little cable that goes the PSP for viewing!
> >
> > He is talking about using a Compact Flash (CF) card in a USB adapter
> > for the PS2. The PS2 will pretty much work with any memory card in a
> > USB adapter as long as the game or some utility like Action Remax
> > recognizes the USB port. The story for the PSP is different. It is an
> > enticing idea to be able to use the USB port on the PSP for the same
> > types of things but the firmware in the PSP is deliberately limited to
> > prevent this type of USB use. It will take a firmware update to open up
> > the USB on the PS2 for other things besides just looking like a
> > removable drive to a PC. The word is that this is coming eventually.
>
> Darn, though I had something cool going. It's crystal clear something is
> going to hook to that USB connector other than a cable, those threaded
> holes are there... I can think of lots of stuff, keyboard, GPS, hard
> disk..

Portable "mass storage" would certaintly be pretty cool for the PSP. Don't
have a PSP (yet), so not familiar with the peculiarities of its
interfaces -- but perhaps this could be done without using a cable?
802.11b! I have a small 802.11a/bg access point for traveling. Doesn't do
any true routing, but does have a built in DHCP server. I travel
semi-frequently with work and take it with me so we can setup quick WLAN's
for multiplayer laptop gaming. I just power it up, throw it on a table, and
everyone within range gets an IP, and we start blasting one another. All
sorts of possibilities for "wireless devices" if something like that was
built on top of say portable storage space. Nintendo, with the DS's
capability to download games off the air (DS keeps them in RAM until the
connection is dropped), has an unique opportunity to do all kinds of cool
stuff too. I can see "wireless devices" that allow game demos to be
downloaded at retail stores. Just walk into the store with your DS and can
pull demos. Cool stuff.

Cheers,
-Eric
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY