[SOLVED] Using a stock cooler for a Ryzen 7 cpu

Skarfi

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hi guys,

Im planning to upgrade from my AMD Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 5800x. The problem is that the Ryzen 7 5800x doesn't come with a stock cooler. So now the question is "Can i use my Ryzen 5 2600 stock cooler for my Ryzen 7 5800x?". If that isn't an option i also got an old cooler "Silentium pc Spartan 3 PRO HE1024" from an old pc build, can i then use this one instead?

I use my pc mainly for music production and gaming.

(Sorry if there were some grammar mistakes ..English isn't my native language)

My pc specs:
Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
Tower: SilentiumPC Signum SG1X TG
Fans: 4x Corona HP RGB 120 mm
1x random cooler (lol)
Ram: G.skill tridentz 32GB DDR4 3200mhz dual channel
Graphics card: MSI VENTUS RTX 2060
PSU : Corsair TX650M
Hard drives: 2x 500gb hdd
1x 250 hdd
1x 250 ssd
1x m.2 1tb (samsung 980)
Motherboard: gigabyte b450m s2h

Solution
So, as in physically fit on the CPU, yes you can use it. You should not expect it to provide proper thermal performance. You can pick up used Spires and such really cheap if you wish to stay stock. That is a fair amount of CPU to cool, so really don't think I would consider the often quoted budget options like Hyper 212, Snowman....'maybe' a Scythe?

This yours?
Spartan 3 PRO HE1024 : SilentiumPC

Seems a lot like a Hyper 212 (but even smaller), so if you have proper mounting hardware I would probably prefer it over the other. To be fair, if you have a way, weigh them both without the fan installed and go with the heavier one on a temp basis until you can see thermals and opt for something more suitable.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, as in physically fit on the CPU, yes you can use it. You should not expect it to provide proper thermal performance. You can pick up used Spires and such really cheap if you wish to stay stock. That is a fair amount of CPU to cool, so really don't think I would consider the often quoted budget options like Hyper 212, Snowman....'maybe' a Scythe?

This yours?

Seems a lot like a Hyper 212 (but even smaller), so if you have proper mounting hardware I would probably prefer it over the other. To be fair, if you have a way, weigh them both without the fan installed and go with the heavier one on a temp basis until you can see thermals and opt for something more suitable.

Reactions: Skarfi
Solution

Skarfi

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019

This yours?

Ok thank you my friend! Im probably gonna use the stock cooler then for a week and then buy an AIO.
Thank you again for your help!