Using a switch to convert college wireless to wired?

mackattack_22

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hey everyone,

this is a weird question. I'm on a college campus that is wireless only, and I have a computer that lacks a wireless card and also want to hook up my Xbox to to play online. In my room is a wireless router connected to an Ethernet cable popping out of the ceiling. Would I be able to set up a switch connecting to that ethernet cable and then the router? If not is there an easier solution?

I presume the wireless router is already connected to the campus network over that wire. So why not connect your wired devices to the wireless router's switch? Why the need to introduce another switch? Are you out of ports? (if so, just patch the switches together w/ ethernet cable)

Moneyloo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
If there are open ports on the back of that router just plug an ethernet cable into the devices you want.

If there aren't any and it's just some form of WiFi router, then I'm not completely sure what would happen if you removed the wifi router from the equation and plugged the ethernet from the ceiling into something (like a switch). It might work, but on the other hand it might need the router to DHCP and hand out addresses..

mackattack_22

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Sorry, I should have made this clear, there are no ports on the router other than the input.

So what would you suggest? Could I buy another router with a multi port switch and then have it connect to the existing one?