[SOLVED] Using a VGA cable for a second monitor GTX 1050

frymillstrum

Commendable
Jan 11, 2021
I have my PC connected via HDMI to a Samsung Smart TV and wanted to hook up an additional monitor with a VGA cable but it's not working. "Didn't detect another monitor" is the message in the Windows 10 display settings message. Have tested the VGA cable and monitor on an old laptop and worked fine. Maybe the issue is with the VGA connection on the graphics card but I shouldn't think so because I never used it before and it was covered with a piece of plastic straight from the box since I got it. Any help would be appreciated...

It's not a GTX 1050 TI btw .

frymillstrum

Commendable
Jan 11, 2021
What is the exact model of the GTX 1050 you have? I ask because I thought MVidia dropped VGA Support on the GTX 1050s

-Wolf sends

GeForce GTX 1050, not sure what more info I could give.

Could it be one of the scam 1050's with a VGA port at the back, that is not actually a 1050, but an older card with a BIOS that makes it identify itself as a 1050 or something like that?

https://www.amazon.com/Tuscom-Graphic-NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B07C2PXMT1?th=1

I don't really think so, I didn't get it on the cheap or anything, I remember the packaging all seeming very legit when I got it 3 years years ago and I've never had any issues with it...

frymillstrum

Commendable
Jan 11, 2021
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-gtx-1050-rev-1-0.b4941

So it looks like I did get a cheap version with a bios that tricks it into reading as an Nvidia?

That link only lists DVI, MDMI and DisplayPort as out puts but there is a VGA connection on mine too....

ceq.png

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Kind of looks like it, but what is the performance like? Have you run any benchmarks at all? Would be interesting to know what kind of result you get. That would finally tell whether it is a 1050 or not.

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I'm not sure how reliable the UserBenchmark is, but the scores you got other than the "Splatting" score align pretty well with what a 1050 should get. Weird, the plot thickens! :)

frymillstrum

Commendable
Jan 11, 2021
Well after actually looking at the back of my PC instead of just derpily seeing a VGA port and assuming it was part of my graphics card I realised what I'm looking at is the VGA and DVI ports from my motherboard. Apologies for wasting everyones time but I guess it was an intriguing mystery to try and solve at least? 😑

So the question now is whether to enable my integrated graphics card in order to get it displaying on the monitor, I saw something on another thread on here about going into the BIOS and activing it but I'm wondering could messing with that cause any trouble on my main HDMI monitor?

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Well at least the mystery is solved now. :) On some PC's you can't use the motherboard video outputs at the same time as the add on graphics card. Try it and see if it works for you.

frymillstrum

Commendable
Jan 11, 2021
Thanks for the help everyone, apologies again for the waste of time. I've never really messed with a BIOS before, I'm sure it's nothing to be afraid of but I just decided to get a VP to HDMI cable for €10, was just trying to save a bit of cash since I already had a VGA cable lying around