Status
Not open for further replies.

t27j9s

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
H-P Pro 3000
MB Microstar Int. #3664H
Bios Amer. Mega Tr. V.1.04 12/01/09

HP support ended at win 7...trying to avoid having to swap out HD>install win 7> update bios> then reconnect win 10 drive

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm not 100% sure what you are asking about here.

are you trying to update the BIOS but believe it can only be done with win7 and not win 10?? or is there some other update you are trying to do? just want to clarify before offering any help

t27j9s

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
thnx for your help.

just rying to update the BIOS first...i might want to do something else later...but...i don't know what that might be right now.

MSI directs me to HP support...hp support for this MB ends at
WIN 7 64 sp48389 V.1.10 jul/02/2010
Winxp 64 sp53695 V.1.14 jul/01/2011

t27j9s

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
i understand the Process.

the process is Not the question>

hp does not support win 10 for this bios.

i am running win 10.

hp does have an update for this bios...BUT...it is listed under win7.

again...i am not running win 7...i am running win 10.

the question seems to be...can i execute this update running win 10...or...do i have to get Win 7 installed>>>then execute the Update>>>then go back to win 10?!

Then you understand that unless an update directly addresses a problem you are experiencing (read the notes attached to the update) there is absolutely no need to be updating the BIOS. The risks far outweigh any benefit.

i am running win 10.

the question seems to be...can i execute this update running win 10...or...do i have to get Win 7 installed>>>then execute the Update>>>then go back to win 10?!
The process is exactly the same under Windows 10 as it is under Windows 7, with the possibility that the software may have to be run in compatibility mode. There is no need to be swapping out hard drives/OS's, BIOS doesn't know or care about that.

Then you understand that unless an update directly addresses a problem you are experiencing (read the notes attached to the update) there is absolutely no need to be updating the BIOS. The risks far outweigh any benefit.

i am running win 10.

The process is exactly the same under Windows 10 as it is under Windows 7, with the possibility that the software may have to be run in compatibility mode. There is no need to be swapping out hard drives/OS's, BIOS doesn't know or care about that.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
It depends on what kind of an update it is.

a) Some BIOS updaters run directly under Windows as a program;
b) others run, reboot into some sort of a special recovery mode and update the BIOS from there, then reboot back into Wndows
c) yet others allow you to create a USB drive from which you boot and update the BIOS completely outside Windows

If it's C, then you should be able to run the update even from W10. If it's A or B, then I wouldn't advise running the updater from an unsupported Windows version.

MSI will not be of help, since HP is probably running some custom BIOS anyway.

As others say, unless you have a real need to update the BIOS, it's probably left to leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.