natalie

Hi,
Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit files
directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time I write to
the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way to copy the
files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would be nice to be
able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go like it would a
floppy.
TIA

What you want to do requires packet writing software, such as Nero InCD.

"Natalie" <anti.spam.address@nophishing.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time I
> write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way
> to copy the files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would
> be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go
> like it would a floppy.
> TIA

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Natalie" <anti.spam.address@nophishing.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time I
> write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way
> to copy the files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would
> be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go
> like it would a floppy.
> TIA

XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are using a
CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder and send it to
the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files and basically creates a
floppy type access CD for you.

Yes but you need third party software. Both InCD from www.nero.com and DLA
from www.sonic.com are stand a lone solutions for packet writing.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

James wrote:
> XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are
> using a CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder
> and send it to the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files
> and basically creates a floppy type access CD for you.

However well intentioned, James is wrong.

Read up on what you can/cannot do with Windows XP's CD witing abilities:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

--
<- Shenan ->

"James" <James@REMOVEMEtamarsolutions.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Natalie" <anti.spam.address@nophishing.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
> > files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time
> > write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way
> > to copy the files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would
> > be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go
> > like it would a floppy.
> > TIA
> >

> XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are using
> CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder and send it
> the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files and basically creates
> floppy type access CD for you.

Natalie will need third party software like InCD, or DLA if she wants to use
a CD-R/W in the way she is asking. XP does not have built in packet writing
software. It uses the Standard IS0/Joliet format. With XP's built in
software a CD-R/W disk is treated just like a CD-R with the exception that
you can erase the entire disc. You can not delete individual files or modify
individual files. Nor can you save directly to a disc from within an
application. The file must be sent to a staging area first. You may wish to
learn more about XP's built in burning capabilities by reading the resource
information here http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Natalie wrote in message
>> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
>> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every
>> time I write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is
>> there a way to copy the files to the CD without them being placed
>> "on hold"? I would be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or
>> use Sent to and them go like it would a floppy.
>
> James wrote:
>> XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are
>> using a CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder
>> and send it to the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files
>> and basically creates a floppy type access CD for you.
>
> However well intentioned, James is wrong.
>
> Read up on what you can/cannot do with Windows XP's CD witing abilities:
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Hi - I do this all the time - have done for a long time and have had no
problems with my written cd's - try it and see for yourself. - this is my
main form of backup! - no problems and it overwrites all older files if I
wish - I have never installed another writer softwar - go figure!

James, packet writing is not supported natively in XP. The fact that you
can write files to a cd with an open session is not what the OP is talking
about. He wants to use a cd just like a hard drive, without moving the
files to a folder waiting to be written to disc.

> "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
>> Natalie wrote in message
>>> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
>>> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every
>>> time I write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is
>>> there a way to copy the files to the CD without them being placed
>>> "on hold"? I would be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or
>>> use Sent to and them go like it would a floppy.
>>
>> James wrote:
>>> XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are
>>> using a CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder
>>> and send it to the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files
>>> and basically creates a floppy type access CD for you.
>>
>> However well intentioned, James is wrong.
>>
>> Read up on what you can/cannot do with Windows XP's CD witing abilities:
>> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>> getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>>

> Hi - I do this all the time - have done for a long time and have had no
> problems with my written cd's - try it and see for yourself. - this is my
> main form of backup! - no problems and it overwrites all older files if I
> wish - I have never installed another writer softwar - go figure!

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Natalie wrote in message
>> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
>> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every
>> time I write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is
>> there a way to copy the files to the CD without them being placed
>> "on hold"? I would be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or
>> use Sent to and them go like it would a floppy.
>
> James wrote:
>> XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are
>> using a CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder
>> and send it to the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files
>> and basically creates a floppy type access CD for you.
>
> However well intentioned, James is wrong.
>
> Read up on what you can/cannot do with Windows XP's CD witing abilities:
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

BTW - I am not saying that you can edit directly off the CD - but you most
certainly can overwrite existing files - sorry if I was not clear

You are correct but that was not the OP's question.

> "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
>> Natalie wrote in message
>>> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
>>> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every
>>> time I write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is
>>> there a way to copy the files to the CD without them being placed
>>> "on hold"? I would be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or
>>> use Sent to and them go like it would a floppy.
>>
>> James wrote:
>>> XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are
>>> using a CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder
>>> and send it to the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files
>>> and basically creates a floppy type access CD for you.
>>
>> However well intentioned, James is wrong.
>>
>> Read up on what you can/cannot do with Windows XP's CD witing abilities:
>> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>> getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>>

> BTW - I am not saying that you can edit directly off the CD - but you most
> certainly can overwrite existing files - sorry if I was not clear

"James" <James@REMOVEMEtamarsolutions.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Natalie" <anti.spam.address@nophishing.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
>> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time I
>> write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way
>> to copy the files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would
>> be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go
>> like it would a floppy.
>> TIA
>>

> XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are using
> a CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder and send
> it to the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files and basically
> creates a floppy type access CD for you.
>XP does not have packet writing capabilities. Despite James' claims, you
>will need 3rd party software to do this. Roxio and Nero both make fine
>products. You cannot edit the file directly on the CD. You can open the
>file, edit it, and then save over the old file on the CD-RW. Do not place
>100% faith in this...if it is a file that you cannot possibly live without,
>save it on you HDD, on the CD-RW, and back it up to CD-RW.

Bobby

johnf

Natalie, you're talking about "files", which usually don't take up much disk
space, how much space do you actually expect to use?

If you're only talking about, say, anything up to the equivalent of one to
two CDs, why not look at the option of a Memory Stick, just plug it into a
USB port, the PC sees it as a virtual HD, you can delete files off it, open
& change files, take the whole thing with you anywhere you go - they're
usually slim, only 2-3" long & come with a lead to hang around your neck.

--

johnf

> Hi,
> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time
> I write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a
> way to copy the files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I
> would be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and
> them go like it would a floppy.
> TIA

Gordon

Natalie wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit files
> directly on the CD?

It's NOT a good idea to edit files directly on a CD. That's how
corruption and loss of data occur. ALWAYS (especially if using Word)
copy the file to your HDD first before editing.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

natalie

Thanks Harry, I will give one of them a try. I have Nero, but I don't know
if I have InCD.

> Yes but you need third party software. Both InCD from www.nero.com and DLA
> from www.sonic.com are stand a lone solutions for packet writing.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Natalie" <anti.spam.address@nophishing.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
> files
>> directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time I write
>> the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way to copy
> the
>> files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would be nice to
>> be
>> able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go like it would a
>> floppy.
>> TIA

OK if you have Nero then InCD is free to you. It might be on the Nero
installation disk that came with your system or CD Writer as it is often
bundled together. If you don't have it you can download and install it for
free from www.nero.com
DLA likely won't install if Nero is installed.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> Thanks Harry, I will give one of them a try. I have Nero, but I don't know
> if I have InCD.
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> > Yes but you need third party software. Both InCD from www.nero.com and
DLA
> > from www.sonic.com are stand a lone solutions for packet writing.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "Natalie" <anti.spam.address@nophishing.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
> > files
> >> directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time I
write
> >> the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way to copy
> > the
> >> files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would be nice to
> >> be
> >> able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go like it would
> >> floppy.
> >> TIA

Natalie I should have added that if you choose to use InCD (or any other
packet writing software) make certain that you eject your discs before you
shutdown the computer. To do that always use the program's software ejection
method rather than just pressing the drive's eject button. The reason for
this has to do with the packet writing program storing some of it's data in
a temporary cache that get written to the disc only at the time it is
ejected. If that data fails to get written the disc will end up being
corrupt and probably unreadable. Always ejecting the packet written disc
correctly will minimize that problem. Scroll down to the UDF section here
http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/primer.htm

It is very wise to have a program like the full version of ISO Buster
http://www.smart-projects.net/ or
CD Data Rescue http://www.naltech.com/ handy if you use packet writing
software a lot. The day will come when you won't be able to read the disc
and this software will help you extract data off it.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Natalie" <anti.spam.address@nophishing.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Harry, I will give one of them a try. I have Nero, but I don't know
> if I have InCD.
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> > Yes but you need third party software. Both InCD from www.nero.com and
DLA
> > from www.sonic.com are stand a lone solutions for packet writing.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >

> > "Natalie" <anti.spam.address@nophishing.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
> > files
> >> directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time I
write
> >> the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a way to copy
> > the
> >> files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I would be nice to
> >> be
> >> able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and them go like it would
> >> floppy.
> >> TIA

natalie

I looked into it after I read your suggestion and though it is a very, very
good idea, it becomes inconvenient for me due to only having one USB port on
my laptop which is already being used by an external mouse due to a broken
touchpad, and no mouse would make selecting and copying files a bit of a
hard task. I will keep that in mind for when I get a new pc, which is
probably in the near future. Thanks.

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> Natalie, you're talking about "files", which usually don't take up much
> disk space, how much space do you actually expect to use?
>
> If you're only talking about, say, anything up to the equivalent of one to
> two CDs, why not look at the option of a Memory Stick, just plug it into a
> USB port, the PC sees it as a virtual HD, you can delete files off it,
> open & change files, take the whole thing with you anywhere you go -
> they're usually slim, only 2-3" long & come with a lead to hang around
> your neck.
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> Hi,
>> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
>> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every time
>> I write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is there a
>> way to copy the files to the CD without them being placed "on hold"? I
>> would be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or use Sent to and
>> them go like it would a floppy.
>> TIA

natalie

Thank you for the link Shenan... very useful.

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Natalie wrote in message
>> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
>> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every
>> time I write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is
>> there a way to copy the files to the CD without them being placed
>> "on hold"? I would be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or
>> use Sent to and them go like it would a floppy.
>
> James wrote:
>> XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are
>> using a CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder
>> and send it to the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files
>> and basically creates a floppy type access CD for you.
>
> However well intentioned, James is wrong.
>
> Read up on what you can/cannot do with Windows XP's CD witing abilities:
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

natalie

I am using a CDRW; in fact, I have tried several just in case. Maybe you
found something to tweak that makes it work, because I have been trying by
copying and pasting, drag-n-drop, and right-click>sent to, and neither of
them work--they all place the files to be copied on hold, and the files are
always read-only, which is the most bothersome part. I guess if I could get
rid of the read-only part I would be happy.
Natalie

James wrote:

>XP's built in packet writer will do this for you - Make sure you are using a
>CDRW - not a CDR... - And simply right-click a file or folder and send it to
>the CDRW drive - This allows you to overwrite files and basically creates a
>floppy type access CD for you.

There is no such thing. The inbuilt burning software does *not* use
packet writing; just stashes files to burn later as a ISO 'session'.
Third party software is needed

James wrote:

>Hi - I do this all the time - have done for a long time and have had no
>problems with my written cd's - try it and see for yourself. - this is my
>main form of backup! - no problems and it overwrites all older files if I
>wish - I have never installed another writer softwar - go figure!

You may have installed a third party package: you are *NOT* using the
inbuilt facility

Salut/Hi Natalie,

le/on Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:51:55 +0100, tu disais/you said:-

>I looked into it after I read your suggestion and though it is a very, very
>good idea, it becomes inconvenient for me due to only having one USB port on
>my laptop which is already being used by an external mouse due to a broken
>touchpad, and no mouse would make selecting and copying files a bit of a
>hard task. I will keep that in mind for when I get a new pc, which is
>probably in the near future. Thanks.

Strongly recommend getting a USB 4 way mini-hub. Costs almost nothing and
you can connect your mouse, a USB key, and a couple of other peripherals.
WELL worth it as an expansion.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

johnf

I personally use a 1 in 4 out hub - posssibly there's a 2-way splitter or
something similar, although I haven't had need to look into that part of it.

--

johnf

>I looked into it after I read your suggestion and though it is a very,
> very good idea, it becomes inconvenient for me due to only having one
> USB port on my laptop which is already being used by an external mouse
> due to a broken touchpad, and no mouse would make selecting and copying
> files a bit of a hard task. I will keep that in mind for when I get a
> new pc, which is probably in the near future. Thanks.
>
> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>> Natalie, you're talking about "files", which usually don't take up much
>> disk space, how much space do you actually expect to use?
>>
>> If you're only talking about, say, anything up to the equivalent of
>> one to two CDs, why not look at the option of a Memory Stick, just
>> plug it into a USB port, the PC sees it as a virtual HD, you can
>> delete files off it, open & change files, take the whole thing with
>> you anywhere you go - they're usually slim, only 2-3" long & come
>> with a lead to hang around your neck.
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
>>> files directly on the CD? I am using Win XP SP2, and so far, every
>>> time I write to the CD it makes them Read Only on the CD. Also, is
>>> there a way to copy the files to the CD without them being placed "on
>>> hold"? I would be nice to be able to drag files onto the CD or use
>>> Sent to and them go like it would a floppy.
>>> TIA

natalie

Excellent piece of info... Thank you.

"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Natalie wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Is there a way to use a CDRW as a floppy, meaning that one could edit
>> files directly on the CD?
>
> It's NOT a good idea to edit files directly on a CD. That's how corruption
> and loss of data occur. ALWAYS (especially if using Word) copy the file to
> your HDD first before editing.
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

natalie

I have installed InCD and it seems to do what I wanted. For now I think that
I will stick with it, but, as I said earlier, I will buy an new laptop (this
one is getting old) and then I will go with a memory stick, and use a CD-RW
for backup only. The idea of a hub is good to have; thank you.