Using cmd prompt W/hard drive cannot access hard drive for some reason....

tgiacomo

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
Okay so I have no clue whats going on.

I have a separate hard drive on my computer and supposedly if I want to access it by cmd prompt it should work and it does to a point however as soon as I type in a file it will say "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'.

My OS is on C and my other hard drive is where I install my games and misc crap so that hard drive is E, so opening a cmd prompt I know it shows C then I change it to E and add DIR for directory of the drive and it shows:

e:\>
then
e:\> DIR

Then two files <DIR> GAME and <DIR> STEAM (this is the file folders on that hard drive don't know if that is why this is happening or not)

But as soon as I type in STEAM it gives me the error: "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'.

I am basically trying to access steam like so:

E:\STEAM\steamapps\common\MGS_TPP

Solution
cd steam is the command you want. cd = change directory.

Just typing 'Steam', cmd thinks that is a command. Which does not exist.

tgiacomo

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
so how do I access all the files? For my future reference as well even though this is a game the point of why I posted this is say in the future I have something on that drive that is not a game I don't want to run into this problem again.

To ask another question... Sorry but instead of just getting an answer I am trying to understand the theory

cd is to change directory but isn't steam in that same directory (directory meaning it is on e drive) or it doesn't read like that.