Using DVI cable changes resolution out of monitors range.

Coldmann

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
Need advice on issue i have not found an answer yet anywhere online. I was happily running following setup:
i7 3770
asus strix gtx 960 2gb
8gb ram
Connected to 1920 x 1080 monitor with DVI cable.

So the problem is that when i moved to different flat, i got no signal issue when i hooked up exactly same setup with same DVI cable. During the move my computer was few hours in a car and few days without power until i plugged everything in. Then the no signal issue occured for the first time. I tried rebooting system but it didn't change anything. Then i tried opening bios and the bios screen too big for my screen which i think means that my graphics card is trying output too big of a resolution for my monitor. I got my setup working again when i used DVI to VGA adapter and VGA cable (graphics card -> DVI to VGA adapter -> VGA cable -> monitor) and i got to see my desktop finally.
Then i tried to force my pc to not go beyond 1920 x 1080 resolution but i didn't know how, since when i tried to use only the DVI cable again i got the same issue again. Weird thing is that it working fine before, but after the move my graphics card tries to forcefully output resolution beyond 1920 x 1080.
I would like to go back using the DVI cable without VGA adapter since it is really blurry compared to without adapter. Any assistance regarding the issue is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
Usually when you have a problem with everything on the screen being too big, it is because the GPU is setting it to a LOWER resolution. However that doesn't fix the issue. What you could do is right click and go into the display properties and set the resolution that way, but it may be pretty tricky. And yes I think VGA is incapable of hitting 1920x1080 so that would be annoying.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Usually when you have a problem with everything on the screen being too big, it is because the GPU is setting it to a LOWER resolution. However that doesn't fix the issue. What you could do is right click and go into the display properties and set the resolution that way, but it may be pretty tricky. And yes I think VGA is incapable of hitting 1920x1080 so that would be annoying.

Solution

Coldmann

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017

Thanks for answering! Yeah i tried to change my resolution to 1920 x 1080 (i tried other resolutions too) trough windows settings and trough nvdida control panel, but when i tried to change back to DVI cable i got no signal again.