Question Using Either Windows 10 or Windows 7 for a Windows 8.1 Backup File Recovery

jhughey

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Help!

I need to salvage my wife's User files from a Windows 8.1 O/S Backup using either the Windows 7 Backup-Restore utility or Windows 10 O/S Backup-Restore utility. Here is the background information.

Over the years I have acquired three HP Laptops: a HDX-18 with Windows 7, a HP-Envy 17t with Windows 8.1, and a HP Omen with Windows 10. Now the HP-Envy has crashed, and please take my word for it: the Win 8.1 O/S disk is destroyed. Now I need to retrieve the HP-Envy's User files with one of the other laptop's recovery utilities, because I do not have a W8.1 system.

For system backups, each of the above Laptops have their O/S backup made on a single 1 TB Seagate external hard disk drive, which has been W10 formatted into 3 separate partitions, with each partition uniquely dedicated to be used by one of the above Laptop’s backup utility:

Partition F: is for the HP-HDX18 backups
Partition G: is HP-Envy backups
Partition H: is HP-Omen. backups

Each Laptop’s backup includes its own formatted O/S Image File and a Backup for User Files. Again, each partition’s backup files were made with that Laptop’s backup facility.

PROBLEM: If it is possible, I would prefer to use one of these two Window’s O/S Backup utilities, Windows 7 or 10. Surely Microsoft has anticipated recovery of files having different Windows O/S backup formats? I just can't figure it out, so I'm begging for help.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Thank you profusely for taking the time to offer advice.

For advisors, would you please include steps to access and operate this Windows utility from Desktop, and what steps to use within the utility. Again, this has to be a cross-operating-system file recovery procedure from a different backup-formatted file.

If this cannot be done, would you please recommend some vendor software that has a decent user interface for amateur system administrators.

Sincerely,

Dr. J.