Using my toshiba recovery disks to install windows 7 onto another PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myswtsins

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I have the original recovery disks I made when I first got my laptop and am wondering if I could use them to install windows 7 onto my desktop?

A few details if needed...
laptop - toshiba satellite p755d 4 months old

desktop - custom built 4yrs old
Windows XP Home 5.1 SP3
Asus P5WD2 Premium motherboard
ATI Radeon HD 5450 (cheap quick replacement for a blown XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX 600M 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card)
OCZ 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 4-4-4 Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel
2- Maxtor 320GB(640GB total) Serial ATA/300 16MB Buffer 7200RPM
2 TB Goflex External drive
Intel Premium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
Antec Super LanBoy Aluminum Tower w/ 550w Fatality power supply
plextor px-716a AND HP 840 lightscribe

Solution
No.

Not only will this not work from a technical standpoint, with the Toshiba restore media installing drivers for the Toshiba model you have, which will be very different from your desktop, this would also be at least two separate violations of the Windows EULA. Specifically that you have a volume OEM copy, and OEM copies of Windows do not contain transfer rights. Secondly, that the EULA clearly states you are allowed a SINGLE copy on a SINGLE computer.

So you have a technical issue and a legal issue. You will have to actually buy Windows 7. You can either buy it retail, or if you're willing to accept the limitation of the license being tied to the hardware it was first activated on, you can get OEM copies from NewEgg or on eBay for...

cl-scott

Honorable
No.

Not only will this not work from a technical standpoint, with the Toshiba restore media installing drivers for the Toshiba model you have, which will be very different from your desktop, this would also be at least two separate violations of the Windows EULA. Specifically that you have a volume OEM copy, and OEM copies of Windows do not contain transfer rights. Secondly, that the EULA clearly states you are allowed a SINGLE copy on a SINGLE computer.

So you have a technical issue and a legal issue. You will have to actually buy Windows 7. You can either buy it retail, or if you're willing to accept the limitation of the license being tied to the hardware it was first activated on, you can get OEM copies from NewEgg or on eBay for less than a retail copy.

Solution

cl-scott

Honorable
There are problems with both luki19979 and mscathy's suggestions.

The ISOs mentioned will still require that you have a valid license for the software. You can't just download the ISO, install it, and expect not to need a product key. Well, I suppose you can, but you'll be disappointed.

Migrating an OS is also not really an option for the same reasons I already listed. First off, you have a completely different set of hardware, so the drivers will be causing problems. Secondly, you still have the legal issue of the migrated OS being unlicensed, or pirated.

Status
Not open for further replies.