[SOLVED] Using Nas drive in desktop PC as standalone drive

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
I have a seagate ironwolf 6 terbyte that I'm Gona be using for archival and to pull media off/use data on. I'm not going to be running it in raid or anything, it's going to be used like a normal desktop drive in a windows PC. I went with it because it was only 20 dollars more expensive than a wd blue 6 T and is rated for a much higher workload, and is cmr(wb blue 6 T is smr). seemed like a much better value to me. I have heard about tler which makes the drive give up on bad sectors after 7 seconds, would this be risky beacuase I'm using this drive as one if my archive drives? And if so is there an easy way to perm disable it?

Solution
It is fine for that use case.

Don't worry about the giving up bad sector thing. That just means it won't keep trying to read a bad sector forever.

But also...backups are needed, as with any data storage type.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I have a seagate ironwolf 6 terbyte that I'm Gona be using for archival and to pull media off/use data on. I'm not going to be running it in raid or anything, it's going to be used like a normal desktop drive in a windows PC. I went with it because it was only 20 dollars more expensive than a wd blue 6 T and is rated for a much higher workload, and is cmr(wb blue 6 T is smr). seemed like a much better value to me. I have heard about tler which makes the drive give up on bad sectors after 7 seconds, would this be risky beacuase I'm using this drive as one if my archive drives? And if so is there an easy way to perm disable it?

I don't see why not, in general. As it stands, I have a Skyhawk and WD Purple in my home server rig, pulled from CCTV/DVRs that exhibit noise but none when tested in desktop. Both are working fine, even got an image of my main system's boot drive on the Skyhawk. The Seagate is bit noisy, though, seems to be common issue when there's temperature reporting requested of the drive.

I might be derping out, but what's tler? Give up on bad sectors as in stop attempts of recovering data from the bad sectors?

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
I don't see why not, in general. As it stands, I have a Skyhawk and WD Purple in my home server rig, pulled from CCTV/DVRs that exhibit noise but none when tested in desktop. Both are working fine, even got an image of my main system's boot drive on the Skyhawk. The Seagate is bit noisy, though, seems to be common issue when there's temperature reporting requested of the drive.

I might be derping out, but what's tler? Give up on bad sectors as in stop attempts of recovering data from the bad sectors?
Something like that, or just mark it as bad without hanging the system and checking longer, pretty sure it's unlikely to find something past 7 secs tho so most will not notice, I'm worried because I'm using them for archival I'm not sure of the chance it would drop a sector it could have recovered it it checked longer.

Last edited:

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
It is fine for that use case.

Don't worry about the giving up bad sector thing. That just means it won't keep trying to read a bad sector forever.

But also...backups are needed, as with any data storage type.
Also, what's the chance a desktop drive will recover a bad sector that a Nas drive would give up on too early? Pretty slim chance I would assume? Beacuase I would assume if it can't read it after 7 secs more time won't make a difference unless it's a really weird senerio.

USAFRet

Titan
Also, what's the chance a desktop drive will recover a bad sector that a Nas drive would give up on too early? Pretty slim chance I would assume? Beacuase I would assume if it can't read it after 7 secs more time won't make a difference unless it's a really weird senerio.
Bad sector is bad sector. Either the data has already been reshuffled elsewhere, or it is gone.