Using old HDD in new pc, does fresh installing windows 10 completely clear it? (I want it to)

Jaybro11

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I didn't have it in my budget for a new hard drive so I am using my old one. I am wondering if I can just put it straight into the new system and use my windows 10 usb boot drive to fresh install windows 10 on it, will that destroy all the old drivers/files/information on the hard drive? I'd like it to as I'm aware of the OS issues if you keep an old OS/drivers.

Solution
Yes you can and will have the option to format it when the Windows 10 setup starts.

That said, how old of a drive?

Drives get slower the older and more they are used, and many a new system has been brought to it's knees by a old hard drive.
Yes you can and will have the option to format it when the Windows 10 setup starts.

That said, how old of a drive?

Drives get slower the older and more they are used, and many a new system has been brought to it's knees by a old hard drive.

Solution

Jaybro11

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

It's a Seagate Barracuda 1TB from around 2 years ago, I only used it in one other PC (the one I'm upgrading from).

Should be ok. A lot of people say old HD and it turns out to be a 8 year old 250GB SATA 1 drive that's seen better days.

TRENDING THREADS