Using OTG to Ethernet adapter for android usb tethering through wifi router? Is this possible?

kmr1154

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hello

I am using my android smartphone for internet access over usb tethering. I was wondering if one of these adapters (image below) can be used to tether using wifi router's WAN port. That way it can be shared wireless.

Android mobile >> OTG to Ethernet adapter >> Wifi Router WAN port >> Internet Devices

Is that possible? or these adapters are solely for accessing internet over Ethernet on the android handset itself?
31pkPqR9zVL._SX425_.jpg

Link

Right now i am using usb tethering, sharing that NDIS adapter with Ethernet port using windows ICS then sharing it with rest of the devices over wifi router.. It is working good so far but i have to keep the laptop on as long as i want it to be shared...

I was thinking if i could use this otg to ethernet adapter to bypass the need of laptop...

Regards!!

Solution
In that case, your best option is to find a router with a USB port that claims to work with a "USB modem" - which is how the pc sees your phone - and directly connect it. Supposedly the Asus AC1900 model (RT-AC68) I have can do it and I see the options in the firmware but I've never tried it.

Google around the bit to see if others have had any luck with this.

inanition02

Distinguished
I believe that the USB tethering only works because of a driver on the laptop - it basically uses the phone like a modem. Because the OTG Ethernet adapter is "dumb-er" than the laptop, it can't use the same driver and therefore won't be able to create a WAN connection.

I had a situation similar to this before - I used the mobile hotspot feature on my phone to connect a wifi bridge - then I plugged the output ethernet of the bridge into the WAN port of the router and voila, mobile internet shared to a wifi and wired standard network. Modern phones though, via their hotspot feature can usually connect up to 5 devices, though range isn't great.

Hope this helps.

kmr1154

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012

Thanks for your reply
Hotspot feature is good and easy but range isn't good as well as the speed compared to usb.

My hotpost speed is 3 to 5 mbps downlink while over usb tethering it goes up to 25 mbps... the difference is too much to ignore otherwise i would be more than happy to use hotspot and wds or ethernet bridge to connect.

Also hotspot drains up the battery a lot, while over usb it charges simultaneously while tethering.

inanition02

Distinguished
In that case, your best option is to find a router with a USB port that claims to work with a "USB modem" - which is how the pc sees your phone - and directly connect it. Supposedly the Asus AC1900 model (RT-AC68) I have can do it and I see the options in the firmware but I've never tried it.

Google around the bit to see if others have had any luck with this.

Solution
Nov 11, 2019

Thanks for your reply
Hotspot feature is good and easy but range isn't good as well as the speed compared to usb.

My hotpost speed is 3 to 5 mbps downlink while over usb tethering it goes up to 25 mbps... the difference is too much to ignore otherwise i would be more than happy to use hotspot and wds or ethernet bridge to connect.

Also hotspot drains up the battery a lot, while over usb it charges simultaneously while tethering.

I have the exact same requirement and the exact same reasons for preferring a USB connection rather than a wireless bridge.I was initially looking for a router which would take in my USB tethered connection, but when I google up 3G/4G sharing routers, they say that they only support dongle based modems and not USB tethering. Now I don't know if what they're claiming is actually true or is it just that they don't know.

Is there a basic functional difference between the 2 which is why this is not possible? I am guessing that in a USB tethered connection, you phone is the router (which you have also mentioned) and the USB is acting as a channel to transfer data but in a USB dongle , the USB acts as an interface between the SIM card and the modem you are connecting it to. If all of the above mentioned assumptions are true, then the OTG to Ethernet adapter should also be acting as a channel for data transfer which can be interfaced with a router and then broadcast via WLAN. Apart from all these, finally the utility of the router you have suggested is far more sophisticated for my needs. Consequentially, the ASUS router is crazy expensive in comparison to the price of the adapter and a decent single/dual band switch cum wireless router combined. Please just validate my assumptions so that I can go ahead with buying the dongle.