Question using PSU from mid 2014, when to replace?

HybridXephius

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
I am currently running an XFX 550W 80+ Bronze power supply in my rig. It's powering a stock 3700x and 2060. I've had no problems with this power supply since I first got it, but I have been using it since mid-2014. Here is the exact model: P1-550S-XXB9.

I was wondering when I should upgrade to a newer, more modern power supply. I know my current one is made by Seasonic, who make great PSUs, so hopefully I may be able to get another year or two of power from it. Any suggestions?

The XFX TS Series (the actual model of your PSU) is based off of the M12II. So it was an antique when you bought it.

That said, it's a well made PSU. But if you plan any major upgrades, I would DEFINITELY get a modern PSU that is made for today's higher end graphics cards to go with it.

Reactions: HybridXephius
Oct 3, 2019
Gee I learn something new every day. I use an XFX TS 650W and although I can't get the exact mdl # right now I was sure it would be fine for my new build (Ryzen 2600, GTX 750 but waiting for Navi). Hasn't run continuously but still....

Wondering what new cards would require that my PSU doesn't supply. Will need to read up but I'm just dumbfounded.

Hoping to see any explanations alongside suggestions.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu's either work or they don't, there's no inbetween. If it's functioning as it should, as it's claimed to be, that's good, it's when it doesn't, if an output is out of spec, if a rail doesn't put out what it's supposed to, it's done, dead in the water, whether it runs or not.

The Seasonic GB platform, the base for the S12-II, M12-II, XFX TS, Antec HCG-M, 520w-550w-620w and some others is a workhorse. At its inception 10 years ago, it was as good as it got for a Bronze rated unit and better than many Golds. Even today, it's still a workhorse, and still in production, even though it will no longer win any performance awards. Seasonic said 'this is what you get' and that's what you got.

Are there better? Yep, sure are, even some that are not only better, but cheaper too, but that's also market depending. Definitely in the US, Europe, and the other larger variety markets, but in the backwoods on many Indo-Asiatic markets, anything built on that platform is still about the best and most reliable you'll get in that budget range.

I just sold my 7yr old M12-II, I tested it before letting it go, all rails still at the same output as they should be, purring like a kitten and never once a blink or worry from the psu. It ran 24/7/365 on OC 3570k and OC gtx660ti.

Replacing the psu is preventative maintenance. Tires are getting bald, whether they still hold air or not. It's an age and wear and tear thing. You are looking at a psu that came with a 3yr warranty, you got your money's worth, and then some. Still got a few miles left on them tires, but replacement is definitely a consideration now, sooner or later. At next upgrade for sure.

Psu's either work or they don't, there's no inbetween. If it's functioning as it should, as it's claimed to be, that's good, it's when it doesn't, if an output is out of spec, if a rail doesn't put out what it's supposed to, it's done, dead in the water, whether it runs or not.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

The PSU can work. And function properly for most of the tasks thrown at it. Then a new game comes out, needs the kind of power that the graphics card sucks from the PSU in quick spikes and shuts down or reboots in the middle of the game. That's not an "it either works or it doesn't" scenario. That's a "works until it can't" scenario.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I think maybe I didn't express my thought well enough, and you took it too literally, but what you are saying is what I meant. If the game, draw whatever is too much for the psu, it don't work, it might run, but it's now moot and not enough. Maybe it's a language thing, here in the South, if something don't work don't mean it's broke, just means it doesn't work for the application. Like the speed limit being 55mph on the major interstate around here, don't work for anyone but the Troopers in a speed trap.

Oct 3, 2019
Well my thanks to both of you for explaining further. My unit's only seen 2 yr's service. But I was wondering if "That said, it's a well made PSU. But if you plan any major upgrades, I would DEFINITELY get a modern PSU that is made for today's higher end graphics cards to go with it" was referring to better rails, modularity or some other feature I don't yet know about.

Not that I want to horn in on OP's thread.

TRENDING THREADS